Sloppy Joes is a type of sandwich that if you have never tried it before you are missing out on a meaty sandwich that is a nice change from a burger. This Sloppy Joes recipe is part of my learn to cook series, so if you are a beginner cook, I will help you make a tasty meal.
Sloppy Joes are a sandwich that was created in the United States ground meat is seasoned with ketchup, spices, and onions. They are very easy to make. Yes, you can buy a jar of the sauce, it is available in your store. When you make it at home you use ingredients you can spell and you can make changes to the sloppy joes recipe as you see fit.
This recipe is part of my learn to cook series where I am making every recipe out of my old home economics cookbook. So you know the recipes are easy to make. This is a recipe that we were given when I was in the seventh grade. So you know if 12 or 13 year olds are given a particular recipe is must be easy. Here we are going to saute ground meat and add some fresh cut celery and onions to the ground beef. We will finish the recipe by adding a variety of seasonings, and ketchup. I promise you can put this recipe together in no time. Just be sure to grab some hamburger buns, or if you are in a pinch you can serve this sloppy joes recipe over some toast.
Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 14.5 ounces chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
- Brown ground meat in a skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. When meat is browned, add celery, onion, and garlic, and blend well. Combine in a bowl, vinegar, ketchup, tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon over hamburger (toasted if desired) buns.