Love the Casa Ole Green Sauce? Make it at home using Sharkie’s copycat recipe! This creamy avocado dip is the perfect dip to serve with chips and on top of tacos!
Sharkie was the winner of our first Super Bowl Recipe Contest with her recreation of Casa Ole’s green sauce recipe. This isn’t the exact recipe for the Casa Ole Green Salsa but it tastes very much like the real thing. In Sharkie’s own words:
Casa Ole (a restaurant) refused to fork over their recipe for the green sauce they serve, so I set to work in the kitchen and came up with this – I think it’s exact, but we shall never know unless we ever get them to relinquish their version. Mines better! *GRIN* ~ Sharkie
If you have never had the creamy salsa verde that is found in many Mexican restaurants, it is a creamy avocado salsa (salsa de aguacate) with a hint of spice. I personally have had so many bowls of this sauce that the numbers reach well above the population of where I went to high school! This is a sauce that is easy to whip up in your food processor. It’s made from ingredients that include avocados, Rotel tomatoes, sour cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, and lemon juice. It’s delicious and addictive, and I guarantee you will make it again and again.
How to Tell if Your Avocados Are Ripe
- When choosing avocados, many people get a bit stressed over finding ones that are ripe enough but not over-ripe. Here are some tips.
- Press the avocado lightly with your thumb. If it yields a little to your pressure, it is good to buy. If it feels very soft, it’s over-ripe; if it is hard then it’s not yet ready.
- A ripe Hass avocado (the most common kind) should have a deep purple (almost black) skin.
- Remove the small nubby stem on the narrower end of the avocado and check the color underneath. A creamy yellow indicates that the avocado is ripe. A brown color means the avocado is a bit on the old side and is likely to have brown spots on its flesh.
- 7 tips to buy the perfect avocado!
Love avocado dips? Try these copycat avocado dip recipes. And, let me know what your favorite thing is to do with avocados.
Are you looking for something a little different when it comes to chips and salsa? If so, try Sharkie’s Casa Ole Green Sauce. Thanks to Sharkie, now you can enjoy this Mexican avocado sauce that tastes like the Casa Ole Green Sauce.
Sharki's Casa Ole Green Sauce
- 4 avocados
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces green chilies
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a food processor combine cream cheese, avocados, lemon juice, garlic powder, jalapenos, cilantro salt, and sour cream, process until smooth. Add in the Rotel tomatoes, and green chilies in, and pulse several times to finish the sauce. Serve with chips.