Do you love the flavor of Tacos? You can enjoy this easy Make ahead Taco Casserole, perfect for the weeknight, and you can make this casserole recipe in advance and heat it when you are ready to serve.
Sometimes you want the perfect Make Ahead Casserole. I love to prepare a few extra items on Sunday when I have spare time, and reheat during the week. This way I can have a hot meal on the table that wasn’t picked up at a drive-through, and I have plenty to take to work to help me save some money. I try to brown bag it a few days a week, so I can make my budget stretch a little more.
To this casserole I have added corn tortillas, these are perfect for those who love gluten-free meals. I run the corn tortillas through hot oil before placing them into the casserole. This helps the tortillas become pliable, and when they cook, they can crisp up just a bit, and this keeps the fillings in place. I have also added a Mexican blend of cheese. If you like, you could add black olives, green chilies, a can of corn, or just about anything you enjoy.
For the sauce, I combined an inexpensive bottle of salsa with the Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies. I wanted the sauce to have lots of body and flavor, but I didn’t want all of the heat in the salsa. I often toss in a can of Ro*Tel when I am making a tomato sauce; it adds a little something extra.
Love casseroles? Be sure to check out these other casserole recipes
Easy Make Ahead Taco Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 18 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 can Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- In a medium-sized skillet, brown ground beef with white onion. Drain ground beef add taco seasoning mix and add 1/2 cup of water. Set aside seasoned beef.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cut corn tortillas in half. Heat corn tortillas halves in hot oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Combine salsa and Ro*Tel tomatoes in a blender to make a sauce. Heat refried beans slightly in a microwave to make them spreadable. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with corn tortillas. Spread can of Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans over the corn tortillas.
- Place the ground beef over the refried beans. Pour sauce over the ground beef. Place another layer of corn tortillas over the ground beef. Cover tortillas with cheese. At this point, you can wrap the casserole and freeze.
- Or you may want to bake the casserole and serve. Bake the casserole at 350 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve the casserole with sour cream and sliced green onions if desired.