Mexican Cornbread Casserole is a filling meal. This south-of-the-border-inspired casserole is a great way to feed a family. Boxed cornbread mix, ground beef, corn, and a few additional ingredients make for a filling dinner, and best of all, this dish reheats very well. I love to make Mexican Cornbread Casserole for when I want a hearty meal.
Mexican Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef
Mexican Cornbread casserole has been one of my favorite weeknight meals to make. I love how simple this casserole is to put together. With some taco seasoned ground beef and a few extra ingredients, you can turn this recipe into something your family will love.
Ingredients You Need to Make this Jiffy Cornbread Casserole
- Ground beef – I like to use ground chuck, you could swap this out for sausage if you desire
- Taco seasoning mix – you can use one package or 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning
- 2 boxes of Jiffy Mix cornbread. If you don’t like Jiffy Mix, use 2 packages that total up to a dry weight of 17 ounces
- 1 can of cream style corn
- 1 can of corn kernels
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, Colby Jack, Mexican cheese blend, or Monterey Jack would also work well
- 1 small can of green chilies
Cornbread Casserole with Meat
Casseroles are a wonderful dish to make for a meal during the week. This one is very easy to put together. I like to keep a couple of boxes of cornbread mix on hand for recipes just like this one.
You can be flexible in this recipe—you could use any sausage instead of the hamburger meat in here. If you have a few extra leftover vegetables in the refrigerator, green beans, and carrots are just as tasty in here is the corn.
Customize this Easy Mexican Cornbread Casserole with Fun Toppings
Make your casserole fun with these exciting toppings. There is no reason why any night of the week can’t be fun. This Mexican cornbread casserole is one of those easy recipes you are going to want to keep on hand.
- A drizzle of your favorite taco sauce
- Fresh jalapeno peppers or pickled jalapeno peppers if you like a little less heat
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Additional shredded cheese if desired
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced black olives
How to Make Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the taco seasoning according to the package directions. Set the meat mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine two boxes of jiffy cornbread mix according to the package directions. Stir in half of the cream corn and half of the canned corn.
- Spread half of the jiffy corn muffin mix in the baking pan. Top with taco meat.
- Then top the taco meat with the remaining corn kernels and creamed corn.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese, and then the remaining cornbread batter, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and serve.
This casserole is a favorite of mine because it reheats so well so you can enjoy it another night or two if you like.
Do you love casseroles? Try these recipes!
- Mexican Beef Casserole
- Chili Relleno Casserole with Ground Beef
- Spaghetti Bake Casserole
- Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
- Sour Cream Noodle Casserole
- Cracker Barrel Casserole
- Baked Potato Casserole Dickeys
- Tater Tot Casserole with Ground Beef
- Hamburger and Bean Casserole
- Easy to Make Chicken Casserole
More Mexican Food Recipes
Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1.25 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 17 ounces cornbread mix 2 boxes (jiffy mix recommended)
- 14 ounce cream-style corn canned
- 14 ounces corn canned
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces green chilies canned
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until it browns, drain beef. Add the taco seasoning per package directions.
- In a large bowl mix the corn muffin batter per package directions. Stir in half of the cream-style corn and half of the regular corn.
- Spread half of the cornbread batter in the baking pan. Top the cornbread base with taco meat. Mix the remaining cream-style corn and corn kernels and spread that over the meat.
- Sprinkle with half of the grated cheese, then the green chiles. Spread the remaining cornbread mixture on top, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cornbread is baked through. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then cut into squares to serve.
- Top with toppings if you desire.
- Swap half of the Cheddar cheese for grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle into the taco seasoning mix