Follow this easy recipe for chili Relleno casserole with beef. It’s filled with eggs, ground beef, and lots of yummy cheese! Dinner is ready in 45 minutes.
Follow this easy recipe for chili relleno casserole. It’s filled with canned chilies, ground beef, eggs, and lots of gooey cheese! Dinner is ready in 45 minutes. Moreover, you can serve this up for any meal – brunch, lunch, or dinner – even breakfast! Whatever you decide, it will be love at first bite!
Chili rellenos are delicious but can take some time to make. The next best thing is this chili relleno casserole. This ground beef and egg casserole puts all of the flavors together for you in an easy-to-make meal. This dish is baked, not fried, so there’s much less prep work. I love chili rellenos, but this is much easier than getting in the car and heading out to your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant. I’m confident you’ll love this twist on the original in this delicious and easy chili relleno casserole recipe.
What Is Chili Rellenos?
Chiles rellenos is a Spanish term that translates as stuffed peppers. This dish is one of the most popular and well-loved Mexican foods. Most commonly, poblano chiles are stuffed with just cheese, but the stuffing can also include refried beans, shredded chicken, pork, or beef. After being stuffed, the peppers are then battered and fried. The finishing touch is a slathering of salsa roja, a spicy red sauce.
Is it chile or chili? Either spelling is ok; it just depends on the region.
A Few Tips for making chili relleno casserole with ground beef
- You can omit the ground beef for a meatless casserole.
- Have leftovers? No problem – for your morning meal, slice up a portion of your chili rellenos casserole, roll it up inside a flour tortilla, heat it, and voila! A quick and easy breakfast burrito!
- This casserole could be a meal all on its own. But if you want some side-dish ideas, try Spanish rice or Mexican-style refried beans.
How to Reheat a Casserole
The best way to reheat a casserole depends on the ingredients and the density of the food. Microwave reheating can work for single portions. However, larger, dense dishes in the microwave take too long. The edges get overcooked and tough, while the center can still be cold. Reheating in the oven means some re-cooking is inevitable, but a tight covering of aluminum foil really helps. It’s better than the glass lid that may belong to your casserole dish. For some more tips on how to reheat a casserole, click here.
Chili Relleno Casserole Ingredients
This is what you need to make the casserole:
- Ground beef
- Cheddar cheese
- All-purpose flour
- Canned whole green chilies
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Chili Relleno Casserole with Beef
Cook ground beef until crumbled and browned.
Whisk together milk, flour, eggs, salt, and pepper.
Layer chilies and beef in a baking dish.
Pour milk mixture over layers.
Top with cheese.
Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve and enjoy!
More Easy casseroles recipes
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Instant Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe
- Rice Casserole with French Onion Soup
- Crab and Cheese Casserole Recipe
- Hamburger and Corn Casserole
- Kings Ranch Casserole
- Spanish Casserole
- Potluck Potatoes Casserole
- Cheddar Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Easy Chicken Casserole
Popular Ground Beef Recipes
Check out even more of my easy casseroles and recipes for beef.
Chili Relleno Casserole with Beef
- 16 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 can Ortega whole chilies
- 1 pound ground beef cooked (browned and crumbled)
- Beat together milk, flour, eggs, salt and pepper. Layer in casserole dish: chilies, beef, then pour over milk/flour/egg mixture, then cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
so what is the greens that were added….besides the chilies
The chilis are the only thing that is green in this recipe.
Oh my goodness! This was tremendous, perfect for Hatch chilie season.
What size dish did you use when making the Chili Relleno Casserole with beef?
I used a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Could not wait and had to make last night. Wonderful!!! Could not find whole chilies so I used diced (16 oz). Made it low carb and added 1 heaping tea of Ortega Mexican Blend Seasoning to the egg mixture.
For those of us on a low carb thingy, use table cream for the milk and Almond flour for the ap flour. Now your carbs just got cut in half at least.
what size can of ortega chilis ??
I made this for dinner and it was soooo good and very easy. The “hardest” part was grating the cheese. I served it to company including a 10 year old, 17 year old and 22 year old and EVERYONE loved it. Definitely a keeper.