Looking for an easy, delicious ground sausage recipe for a busy weeknight dinner or even an early morning breakfast? Sausage Mac and Cheese Casserole is a perfect make-ahead dinner your entire family will enjoy.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mac and Cheese with Sausage
Are you looking for the perfect casserole? This sausage pasta bake is perfect, it is cheesy, filled with flavorful sausage, and can be made in no time at all. This sausage casserole dinner is a perfect weeknight meal the whole family will enjoy.
Make-Ahead Tips for Mac and Cheese with Sausage
When it comes to making a make-ahead dish, casseroles are at the top of the easiest to make list. Casseroles make great family breakfasts, dinners, or holiday pot-luck dishes.
- Most casseroles can be made ahead of time. Put all the ingredients together and chill in the refrigerator before cooking. Take out 20 to 30 minutes before putting in the oven.
- Give your casserole more flavor by topping it with something special before baking. For example, buttered bread crumbs, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, or even French fried onions making a great casserole topping.
- If you are preparing a casserole for a potluck or dinner party, use a disposable foil pan so you can leave any leftovers at the party.
- When transporting a casserole, insulate the casserole inside kitchen towels. Wrap it around the casserole to keep warm if you don’t already have an insulated container. Casseroles are good for 2 hours at room temperature.
Sausage Pasta Bake Ingredients
When making sausage mac and cheese casserole, you will need your favorite 9×13 inch casserole dish. This casserole is a ground sausage recipe but you will start with the pasta. Follow directions on making your macaroni pasta.
Here’s what you’ll need to make creamy sausage pasta:
- Macaroni Pasta
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Bulk Sausage
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
How to Make Sausage Mac and Cheese
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Brown and drain the sausage and put it back in the skillet.
- Add soups, milk, Velveeta, garlic powder, and black pepper and mix together.
- Add the macaroni and combine.
- Bake for 30 minutes and you are ready to enjoy!
How to Serve Sausage and Pasta Casserole
This is best served straight out of the oven. You can serve this with a simple salad, and add a green vegetable or two and you will have the perfect dinner.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat Sausage Mac and Cheese
To store any leftovers in an airtight container. I recommend reheating any leftovers in the microwave, placing the portion you want to reheat in a microwave-safe container, and covering it with plastic wrap. Heat in 30 seconds increments until the cheese is bubbly.
To freeze the casserole
- Let the casserole cool completely. If it is too hot when you cover it, it will cause condensation, making your casserole watery.
- Cover with plastic wrap and then wrap tightly with aluminum foil.
- Keep in the freezer for up to six months.
How to reheat a frozen casserole
- Thaw the casserole overnight in the fridge.
- Take out the casserole from the fridge and remove the aluminum foil and plastic wrap about an hour before reheating. Doing this will allow the casserole to come up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and pop in the oven for ten minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and continue to heat until the cheese is bubbly.
Love sausage? Try these recipes
- Italian Sausage Instant Pot
- How to Make Sausage Gravy
- Queso with Sausage and Cream Cheese
- Recipe for Homemade Italian Sausage
- Baked Beans with Sausage
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Sausage
- Sausage Alfredo Bake
- Smoked Sausage and Potato Hash
- Sausage Potato Cheese Soup
Easy Dinner Casseroles
- Mexican Corn Casserole Jiffy Mix
- Tuna Casserole with Cream of Mushroom
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
What is your favorite occasion for a casserole? Let us know in the comments below.
Sign up for our newsletter so you never miss another CopyKat recipe. And share your creations by tagging us on Instagram!
Sausage Mac and Cheese Casserole
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Brown the sausage. Drain the liquid and return the sausage to the skillet.
- Add the soups, milk, Velveeta, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir until blended.
- Then add the macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.