Enjoy this easy version of the famous Green Goddess dip. This sour cream and avocado dip is low in carbs and can be prepared in just minutes. The fresh flavor and creamy texture of this green goddess dip recipe will have you wanting to make this recipe again and again.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Green Goddess is a flavorful dip made with ripe avocados, sour cream, mayonnaise, and fresh herbs. Green Goddess dip is perfect for fresh vegetables, can be served as a salad dressing, and is perfect with chips.
This famous dip has its origins in the 1920s. Created in San Francisco Palace Hotel. It was created to honor a play, but it is hard to keep a delicious sauce down.
This has been a popular dip ever since its creation. It continued to be so popular Good Seasons salad dressing company made a salad dressing called Green Goddess. You can make this as a dip or even a salad dressing any time of year. It is a great way to use up fresh avocados and fresh parsley.
What does Green Goddess dip taste like?
This is a rich dip made with fresh ripe avocados, sour cream, some tartness from the mayonnaise, loads of fresh parsley, and green onion. This dip tastes so good with potato chips, drizzled over a salad, or even as a dip for grilled chicken.
Green Goddess Dip – The Easy Way
The original recipe has a lot of fresh herbs in it. It was made with tons of fresh herbs like chervil, fresh chives, anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce along with sour cream and mayonnaise. Sometimes it can be hard to find fresh chervil and chives, my green goddess dressing recipe is quick and easy.
This easy version has simple ingredients you are likely to have on hand already.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Sour cream – I prefer the natural kinds, the ones that are just sour cream and without any thickening agents.
- Mayonnaise – my go-to’s are Duke’s and Hellman’s, this recipe does work with light mayo if you prefer
- Seasoned salt – Seasonal brand is wonderful
- Fresh parsley leaves – you don’t need to have a herb garden, a quick trip to the grocery store will go!
- Green onions
How to Make Green Goddess Dip
- Mash avocado in a bowl.
- Add sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, and seasoned salt, Mix well with a rubber spatula
- Fold in parsley and green onions.
- Store in a covered container for about 30 minutes before serving.
You will notice that a beautiful green color will begin to bloom. The green comes from the fresh herbs and the avocado.
I like to mash the avocado with my Oxo potato masher. If you mash the avocado completely before mixing the rest of the ingredients, it’s easy to mix everything together. If you prefer you could make the dip with a food processor. It’s up to you.
How to Serve Green Goddess Dip
You can use this creamy avocado dip in many different ways:
- You can enjoy it as a salad dressing, it is perfect with a cobb salad.
- You can also use it to dip fresh vegetables like carrots, grape tomatoes, fresh broccoli, and cauliflower.
- It also makes a great dip for potato chips or corn chips.
- Use as a new sandwich spread, this green sauce goes well with turkey and Havarti.
What can you dip into your Green Goddess Dip?
This dip is the perfect way to empty that crisper drawer you have, honestly, it goes with all sorts of fresh produce. This creamy dip is perfect for:
- sliced red pepper
- fresh green beans
- Carrot sticks
- Pita chips
How to store Green Goddess Dip
Green goddess dip does not last for very long. The avocado does make the dip turn brown within a couple of days. You can add about a tablespoon of lemon juice to help with the avocados from turning brown. Be sure to store in an airtight container. You can press a sheet of plastic wrap over the dip directly to help keep the air out and this will give you another day or so in preserving the dip.
I hope you give this recipe for green goddess dip a try soon! I know once you place this in a serving bowl your family and guests will enjoy this and you will want to make it again and again!
Looking for more great dip recipes? Try these!
- Boudin Dip
- Beer Dip
- Clam Dip
- Rotel Dip with Ground Beef
- Warm French Onion Dip
- Jezebel Sauce
- Jarlsberg Cheese
- Vegetable Dip
- White Queso Dip
Favorite Veggie Party and Game Day Recipes
Green Goddess Dip
- 1 avocado soft and ripe
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- Peel and mash the avocado in a bowl.
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, and seasoned salt. Mix well.
- Fold in the parsley and green onions.
- Cover and refrigerate the dip for at least 30 minutes before serving.