So the last few times I have been to my cheese counter at my local Kroger store, they have had this fabulous Jarlsberg Dip there, and I have purchased it several times. Then I started to think, I am the CopyKat lady, why am I not recreating this recipe for CopyKat?
This Dip is Wonderful
So, here is my recipe for Jarlsberg Dip Like Kroger’s. This is a very tasty dip that goes perfectly on crackers. I have served this a few times now, and it has gotten rave reviews. Jarlsberg cheese is a Norwegian cheese that is wonderfully rich and tasty. It’s related to Emmentaler and other types of Swiss cheese. In fact, you can choose to use Swiss cheese for this dip instead of Jarlsberg. Whichever cheese you opt for, this dip adds a little bit of sophistication to a gathering. This recipe is also one of my favorite types because you can make it ahead of time and enjoy it later.
The Holey Cheese
Jarlsberg is Norway’s third largest export. It is valued by leading chefs for its distinctive sweet and nutty taste – not to mention its distinctive holes. It’s an ideal cheese for cheese boards and tastes good in salads and a variety of hot dishes. Jarlsberg was developed in 1956 in Jarlsberg county by successfully combining old cheese-making traditions with modern technologies.
Jarlsberg Cheese Has a Nutty Taste
Peel back the wax rind on a piece of Jarlsberg, and you discover a semi-firm buttery yellow interior that has a delightfully mild, nutty flavor. A nutty Jarlsberg and a smooth Merlot are a wonderful pairing.
Jarlsberg at the Movies
- Jarlsberg had a minor part in the movie Trial and Error (1997) where Charlize Theron offers Jeff Daniels a sandwich and says: “But… it’s Jarlsberg!”
- Jarlsberg also received a mentioned in the movies The Devil Wears Prada, The Wrestler and Did You Hear About the Morgans.
- Jarlsberg was also mentioned In the TV series Frasier and The Sopranos and in the Monty Python cheese skit.
Variations of this cheese spread
Thanks for the many ideas submitted by various readers. Here are a few:
- Add a tad of horseradish.
- Add some jalapenos.
- Use dip on baguette slices to make toasted cheese. Top with bacon bits (optional).
- Use on baked potatoes.
- 4 ounces freshly grated Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons real mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- In a medium sized bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in a covered container for at least 2 hours for flavors to mingle. Serve with crackers. Will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about a week.
You can also make Kroger’s Smoked Gouda Cheese Dip Recipe!
Jarlsberg Dip Like Kroger’s
I love cheese dips and spreads and like to keep some on hand just in case unexpected company drops in or even if I want a light lunch or dinner. This cheese spread is perfect for this, and, better yet, you don’t have to worry about having a lot of preservatives in the dip. If you are a beginner cook, this would be an easy and quick dish for you to prepare. Now you can make Kroger’s Jarlsberg Dip just like they do at Kroger’s.
I love cheese dips/spreads, I often try to keep one on hand just in case I have company or even if I want a light dinner. This cheese spread is perfect for this, and better yet, you don’t have to worry about having a lot of preservatives in the dip. If you are a beginner cook this would be an easy dish for you to make.