Olive Garden Asiago Tortelloni Alfredo with Grilled Chicken is a delicious Italian meal. Cheese tortellini, creamy asiago Alfredo sauce, and tender chicken topped with melted mozzarella and crispy panko is a much-loved dish you can make at home.
Olive Garden Asiago Tortellini Alfredo Grilled Chicken is an impressive dish that is shockingly simple to pull together. It works well as a make ahead pasta dish and is a perfect busy weeknight meal. While there are many baked tortellini recipes, this one is sure to become your family’s favorite.
Perfecting Your Alfredo Sauce
The homemade Alfredo sauce is an essential component of this dish. It isn’t tricky to make it, but you must take things slow. The biggest mistake you can make is to be in a rush, increase the heat too much, and wind up scorching the sauce. While the original recipe calls for using optional garlic powder, you can substitute minced garlic for more of a kick.
Start by heating a small, thick-bottom pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the unsalted butter. Once it melts, throw in the minced garlic if you are using it, and stir with a wooden spatula. After you smell the cooked garlic, pour in the half-and-half and heavy cream. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue to stir. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the pot from time to time to keep the sauce from burning. Once see tiny bubbles breaking the surface, turn off the heat and add the Parmesan and asiago cheese. Stir with a whisk to combine.
After adding the cheese, the sauce will thicken up. If it gets too thick, add a little more half-and-half to thin it out.
Grilling the Chicken
Start with room-temperature chicken breasts, and pat them dry with a paper towel. The next step is to pound the chicken into an even thickness. Place one chicken breast inside a large Zip-top bag or between two pieces of cling wrap. Use the flat side of a meat tenderizer to gently strike the center of the chicken breast. Work your way out from the center until the meat is as even as possible. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
After flattening all the chicken, season it, and let it sit, covered for about 30 minutes while you get the grill ready. You can prepare the chicken over an outdoor grill, but the easiest way is to use a grill pan in your kitchen. If you don’t have a grill or a grill pan, you can use a heavy-duty cast-iron sauté pan.
Turn the heat to medium-high, and let it warm up for a minute or two. Brush a little oil onto your cooking surface, and put down the chicken. Once the chicken is on the grill, resist the urge to play with it for 7 minutes. Then flip the chicken and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Even though the chicken will go into the oven for a couple more minutes, make sure it is cooked through. If you are using a thermometer (and you really should), it needs to read 165 degrees. Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Tips for Making Baked Tortellini With Chicken and Alfredo Sauce
- Use refrigerated tortellini, not the ones that are frozen or shelf-stable. You can find them in most deli departments.
- Make up to two days ahead. If you are assembling the dish beforehand, don’t add the panko breadcrumbs and mozzarella cheese on top until just before cooking.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Vegetable oil
- Ground black pepper
- Italian seasoning blend
- Refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Heavy cream
- Half and half
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Grated asiago cheese
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make Olive Garden Asiago Tortelloni Alfredo with Grilled Chicken
- Pound chicken breasts out to ½-inch thickness with a meat mallet.
- Place chicken, vegetable oil, salt, ground black pepper, and Italian seasoning in a zip-top bag.
- Seal bag and allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add enough vegetable oil in a skillet to coat the bottom. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- When oil becomes hot but not smoking, sauté the chicken on both sides until done.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and allow the chicken to rest on a cutting board.
- Combine cream, half and half, and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Do not let the mixture come to a boil, but heat until small bubbles begin to form.
- Add the Parmesan and asiago cheese and whisk quickly.
- Add the garlic powder and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions.
- Place cooked tortellini and sauce in a 2-quart baking dish.
- Slice chicken breasts and place them on top of the tortellini.
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs and ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese just begins to brown.
Love Olive Garden? Try these popular copycat recipes!
- Apricot Chicken Recipe
- Olive Garden Chicken Marsala
- Olive Garden Salad
- Shrimp Alfredo
- Shrimp Parmesan
- Steak Alfredo
- Toasted Ravioli
Favorite Pasta Recipes
- Artichoke Pasta
- Chicken Piccata Pasta
- Garlic Shrimp Pasta
- Homemade Spaghettios
- Italian Sausage Spaghetti
- Penne Primavera
Olive Garden Asiago Tortellini Alfredo with Grilled Chicken
Grilled Chicken Breasts
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 9 ounces refrigerated tortellini I recommend an asiago and ham blend
Creamy Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 ounces salted butter you can use unsalted
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese you can swap this for Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Pound chicken breasts out to ½ inch thickness with a meat mallet. Place chicken, vegetable oil, salt, ground black pepper, and Italian seasoning blend in a zip top bag. Seal the bag and allow the chicken to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Saute chicken in a cast iron or a stainless steel skillet. Add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom, turn up the heat to medium high cook for 7 to 9 minutes or until the chicken releases from the pan, cook for 5 to 7 minutes on the other side. Remove chicken from the pan, and allow chicken to rest on a cutting board.
- Prepare the Alfredo sauce by combining the cream, half and half, and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Do not let the mixture come to a boil, but heat until small bubbles begin to form. Add the Parmesan and asiago cheese and whisk quickly. Add the garlic powder and continue to whisk.
- The sauce will thicken after a minute or two. If the sauce remains thin, increase the heat of the sauce, and it will thicken.
Finishing the dish
- Turn on the oven broiler.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- In a 2 quart baking dish add tortellini, pour enough sauce to fully coat, and then some into the baking dish. Slice chicken breasts and add them on top of the tortellini, if you have extra sauce, drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
- Add ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs, and ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and broil in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese just begins to brown.