Hands down Olive Garden Shrimp Alfredo is a favorite recipe of so many people! Did you know you can make this classic Olive Garden dish in just about 30 minutes?
The Olive Garden is known for its amazing Alfredo Sauce. A rich and creamy Parmesan cheese sauce is made even better when paired with freshly sauteed shrimp. This recipe is perfect for when you want a dinner that is rich and decadent. Did you know it’s actually pretty easy to make this classic alfredo pasta recipe?
Why this dish works.
Alfredo sauce with pasta works so well because you use fresh butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Parmesan cheese is a dry slightly salty and nutty cheese that always adds the special touch many Italian dishes. In Alfredo shrimp pasta, shrimp is perfectly seasoned and cooked in a seasoned butter to give the shrimp a little something extra.
Secrets for how to make a delicious shrimp alfredo
- Use medium-size shrimp, this way you get a good bite of seafood flavor.
- Be careful not to overcook the shrimp, you can undercook the shrimp a tiny bit, as when it is combined with the pasta it will finish cooking.
- Use a good quality Parmesan cheese. Do not use Parmesan cheese from a can.
- Do not overcook the pasta – Mushy pasta is not a good thing. Cook your pasta al dente.
Tips and tricks for making Alfredo sauce
- Use a Parmesan cheese you will grate. Pre-grated cheese has an anti-caking agent in it that may prevent the cheese from melting well.
- Heat the butter and cream to where it bubbles before you add the cheese, it will melt better this way.
- If you plan on having some extra sauce, do not store the sauce with the pasta, the pasta can soak up the sauce.
Olive Garden Shrimp Alfredo
- 12 ounces medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 12 ounces dry pasta
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces butter
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- Salt water for pasta in a large pot, and bring to a boil.
- Cook pasta for the time recommended on the pasta.
- Season shrimp with salt and black pepper.
- Saute shrimp by adding butter to a pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot add chopped garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Saute shrimp on each side for about 2 to 3 minutes. The shrimp should be pink.
Alfredo Sauce Directions
- Prepare the Alfredo sauce by combining the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Do not let the mixture come to a boil, but heat until small bubbles begin to form.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk quickly. Add the garlic powder and continue to whisk.
Serving the Shirmp Alfredo
- Place cooked pasta into a large bowl. Add cooked shrimp and alfredo sauce. Toss together. Serve immediately.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- Do not allow the pasta to overcook. The residual heat in the pasta will help it finish cooking.
- Do not allow the shrimp to overcook; it will become rubbery. Wait until it is just pink.
- Do use a block of Parmesan cheese that you grate for best results.
- If your alfredo sauce is thin, add a couple of tablespoons of cream cheese to it to make it thicker.