The Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken Marsala is a decadent dish you can prepare. If you love Chicken Marsala, you will love this recipe for tender chicken stuffed with cheese and sundried tomatoes topped with mushroom Marsala sauce.
Perfect for dinner! Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken Marsala
Do you know anyone who doesn’t love to “mangia italiano” at the Olive Garden? The Olive Garden fills you up with delicious home-made-style Italian food whether you come from an Italian-American family or not.
The Olive Garden is Perfect for Chicken Lovers
Combine the Olive Garden with chicken and what do you get? Delicious Italian-style chicken dishes like the Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken Marsala. This Sicilian dish combines delicious, tender chicken stuffed with a flavorful mixture of cheeses and garlic and zesty sun-dried tomatoes.
The rich and creamy Marsala sauce with mushrooms perfectly complements the cheese stuffed chicken. The chicken and sauce are perfect served over garlicky mashed potatoes. Yum!
What is Marsala?
Marsala wine is a fortified wine that comes from Sicily. Marsala is perfect for creating rich caramelized sauces with a nutty flavor. There are two basic kinds, dry and sweet.
- Dry Marsala is used for savory entrées where it adds its distinctive nutty flavor and caramelization to meat dishes. (I recommend the dry Marsala for this recipe.)
- Sweet Marsala is suited to make very sweet and viscous sauces. It’s used for desserts like zabaglione and some chicken and pork dishes that require a sweet sauce.
You can substitute the dry variety for sweet Marsala, but it’s best not to do so the other way around. Read more about Marsala.
If you don’t want to buy a bottle of Marsala and have these other ingredients on hand, you can substitute the Marsala for the following:
- Dry sherry.
- 1/2 dry sherry and 1/2 sweet vermouth.
- 1/4 cup dry white wine mixed with 1 teaspoon of brandy.
- If you don’t want to use alcohol, you can try the following: 1/4 cup of white grape juice plus 1 tablespoon vanilla extract plus 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar.
Love Olive Garden? Be sure to check out these copycat recipes
- Pasta and Shrimp Alfredo
- Olive Garden Lemon Chicken
- Olive Garden Italian Dressing
- Spicy Alfredo Sauce
- Olive Garden Pasta Recipes
Popular Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Best Shoyu Chicken Recipe
- KFC Recipe Fried Chicken
- Country Chicken Casserole
- Longhorn Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Romano Pasta
- Oven Baked Lemon Chicken
- Chicken Pot Pie with Refrigerated Pie Crust
- BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters Recipe
Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken Marsala
Pan-seared chicken breasts
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Chicken Marsala Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry Marsala
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic optional
Cheese filling for stuffed chicken
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced sundried tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Split the chicken breasts in half horizontally. Season with salt and pepper add olive oil to a skillet and saute chicken over medium heat. The chicken should be almost cooked through; this should take about 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Set the chicken aside. It’s best to match up the chicken pieces for assembly.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well.
- Match the chicken pieces and place a couple of tablespoons between the two pieces of cooked chicken. Keep the chicken warm by placing it into the oven. You may want to brush a little olive oil on the top piece of chicken so it does not dry out.
- Place the chicken onto a pan and place it into the oven.
Chicken Marsala Sauce
- Use the same pan the chicken was cooked in. Do not wipe out the pan.
- Add flour and butter to a skillet, cook for about 1 minute on medium heat. Add Lambrusco brand dry marsala wine, stir until the sauce thickens. Add in heavy cream, and allow the sauce to reduce — season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet add butter, when the butter melts, add the mushrooms. Season mushrooms with a small pinch of salt, and a small pinch of black pepper as they cook. Saute mushroom until they begin to brown, add them to the wine sauce.
- Place a stuffed chicken breast onto a plate, and place marsala sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately.