No one makes fried chicken likes KFC. They have been known for their famous recipe of 11 herbs and spices for a very long time now. You can recreate their fried chicken at home.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Herbs and Spices in KFC Fried Chicken Recipe
KFC Fried chicken is known all the world around. Yes, you can go to pick some up anytime you like at your local Kentucky Fried Chicken fast-food restaurant. But maybe you live away from one and want to make your own with this CopyKat Recipe.
Love KFC? Try these copycat recipes:
KFC Fried Chicken
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground thyme
- ½ tablespoon basil
- ⅓ tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 4 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon Accent flavor enhancer (MSG) optional
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- Cut the chicken into breast, thigh, leg, and wing pieces.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour and all of the seasonings.
- In a large bowl, add buttermilk and beaten egg. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken pieces to the buttermilk mixture.
- Soak the chicken for about 30 minutes.
- Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- To bread the chicken, remove the chicken from the buttermilk and shake off excess.
- Place each piece into the flour mixture.
- Coat the chicken fully and then shake off all of the excess flour.
- Place the chicken onto the wire rack.
- Bread all of the chicken. The breaded chicken should rest for about 15 minutes before frying.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a deep fryer. If you do not have a deep fryer you should use a Dutch oven and fill it half full of vegetable shortening. If you are using a Dutch oven, use a thermometer to make sure the temperature is maintained at 350 degrees. If the temperature drops too low, the breading will become greasy.
- Cook the chicken in 2 or 3 batches. The breasts and thighs will take about 15 to 18 minutes to cook. The wings and legs will take about 12 to 13 minutes to cook.
- Drain the fried chicken on a clean wire rack on top of a baking sheet.