If you are looking to up your burger game, this burger recipe is at the top of my list. Culvers Butter Burgers have so much flavor but you won’t believe what the secret to making this burger is. Some people think they put butter in the meat. Let me help you out in recreating this fantastic butter burger recipe.
Why This Recipe Works
If you have never been to a Culver’s and there is one in your area, you must go – it’s that simple. Freshly made burgers and more – did I mention the fried cheese curds and their frozen custard? They are delicious.
Actually, I haven’t ordered anything on their menu that I have disliked. You can’t beat food when it’s made fresh. Scroll down to see my video on how to makes Culvers Butter Burgers.
What is a Butter Burger?
Culver’s is known for its Butter Burgers. Some people think they put butter in the meat to make the burger taste so good. While that would make a hamburger patty taste great, that isn’t quite how they make their burger recipe.
A hot grill and fresh, never frozen meat that is seared quickly is the key. Where does the butter come in? You spread a little butter on the buns and toast them. This makes the toasted buns delicious!
Here’s a list of what you need to make a Culvers Butter Burger:
- Hamburger Buns
- Ground beef – ground chuck is the best
- American Cheese
- Dill pickles
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make a Butter Burger
Making a butter burger is easy! Here are the recipe steps:
- Melt butter in a skillet and swirl it around.
- Place hamburger buns in the melted butter, toast the buns for a minute, and then remove them from the skillet.
- Divide the beef into 4 equal portions and form 4 patties. Place the patties in the skillet.
- Use a spatula to press down on the patties. Then take a large aluminum-wrapped soup and press down each meat patty in the skillet. (see how-to video below)
- Cook the patties for 2 minutes.
- Flip them over and do the same pressing for the other side.
- Season the patties with salt and pepper.
- For cheeseburgers, add a slice of cheese to each patty.
- Cook the patties for 1 minute.
- Remove burger patties and place them on the butter toasted buns.
- Add desired burger toppings and enjoy.
The key to this burger recipe is in the bun. Put the butter in a skillet and place the hamburger buns face down in the skillet to let the butter soak into the buns!
I also have a secret I use to help sear the flavors into the meat. I take a meat patty, then I smash it out on the grill (you can use a skillet).
Then I take a large soup can I have wrapped with aluminum foil to really help smash the burger patty down onto the grill. A quick sear on both sides and you are done.
Just check out my video to see how to smash burgers:
Love a great burger? Try these copycat burger recipes!
- Backyard Burger
- Pizza Burgers
- Stuffed Burger
- Smashburger Buffalo Blue Cheese Burger
- Swiss Mushroom Burger
- 21 Club Burgers
- Steak and Shake Burger
- McDonald’s Hamburgers
- McDonald’s Big Macs
- Homemade White Castle
- Krystal Burgers
- Jack in the Box Sliders
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below! And make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram.
Culvers Butter Burgers
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 slices onion
- 8 to 12 dill pickle slices
- 8 tomato slices
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place butter in the skillet and swirl it around.
- Place hamburger buns cut-side down in the melted butter. Allow the buns to toast for about 60 seconds. Remove buns from skillet.
- Form 4 beef patties and place them in the skillet.
- Take your spatula and press down on the hamburger patties. Take a large soup can that has been wrapped in aluminum foil and press each meat patty down on to the skillet.
- In about 2 minutes, the burger patty will have cooked on one side. Flip it over and do the same for the other side.
- In about 60 seconds the other side will be cooked.
- Season patties with salt and pepper.
- If you want to make cheeseburgers, add cheese when you flip the burger over to the other side.
- Remove burger patties and place them on the buns.
- Add onion, pickles, tomato, or any desired toppings to your burger and enjoy.