Pizza Burgers are a popular open-faced sandwich served in school cafeteria lunches. Bring back childhood memories or create new ones with this classic meal.
What makes pizza burgers so good?
- This classic comfort food can bring back great memories of being in school enjoying lunch with friends.
- Combining two much-loved favorites, pizza and burgers together!
- You can involve the whole family in making these, let your kids customize these in the ways they choose!
Pizza and burgers are two American favorites that taste even better when combined in this one-of-a-kind open-faced sandwich concept. Although these sandwiches are more cheesy Sloppy Joe than classic hamburger, the flavor of this Pizza Burger recipe is hard to beat. So skip the drive-thru, forget calling for delivery and make a massive platter of Pizza Burgers instead. They are going to be a new family favorite.
The Pizza Burger Base
You have many options when it comes to choosing the “crust” for your pizza burger. Many Pizza Burger recipes suggest using traditional burger buns, and sure, you can use them if you want, but once you load up the bun with all that meat, cheese, and toppings, things are going to get pretty messy. Why not take it up a notch with one of these other “crust” choices?
- Kaiser or hoagie rolls. These options offer the same flavors as a hamburger bun but are less likely to fall apart while eating.
- English muffins. The hardiness of English muffins provides a perfect Pizza Burger crust, and as a bonus, they have the nostalgic English muffin pizza vibe going for them!
- A thick slice of sourdough bread. If you happen to have a freshly baked boule of sourdough, it is hard to beat. The slight tang of the sourdough works well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Sweet Hawaiian Rolls. Soft and sweet, Hawaiian rolls make an interesting “crust” choice. Just be sure to toast them before loading them up.
Top Them Any Way You Choose
Not everyone is into mushrooms, and that’s cool. This recipe gives you the flexibility to put just about anything to the top of these Pizza Burgers. Feel free to go as wild as you want with your toppings, but there are just two rules you should follow: One, don’t overdo the amount of each topping you use so that you wind up piling one on top of another other. And two, cut them into small pieces to make sure they cook through or, better yet, cook them before putting them on top of the Pizza burger.
These are a few suggests that are a great addition to a Pizza Burger:
- Balsamic caramelized onions, Gruyere cheese, and bacon bits. The sweet and sour flavor of balsamic caramelized onions helps balance the creaminess of the Gruyere cheese, while the bacon bits add a touch of smokiness. Save this one for the adults.
- Macaroni and cheese. This is a great way to use up extra mac and cheese. Just pile it on top of the meat and add a sprinkling of bread crumbs for crunch. Kids really love this one.
- Jalapenos, bacon bits, and cheddar. If you like Jalapenos poppers, you are going to love this topping combination.
Tips for Making Eating Pizza Burgers
- Let everyone choose their own toppings. Get your kids involved with making this recipe by helping them come up with their own flavor combinations.
- Make a double batch of meat mixture and put it in the fridge for a quick meal. Make this up to two days before using or freeze for up to a month.
- Use a knife and fork. There is no shame in being slightly civilized.
See what else we are cooking up on Facebook!
Pizza Burgers Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Italian Sausage
- Ground Beef
- Tomato Sauce
- Canned sliced mushrooms
- Dried oregano
- Garlic salt
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Hamburger buns
How to Make Pizza Burgers
- Brown the sausage and ground beef in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Drain and return meat to the pan or place it in a bowl.
- Add tomato sauce, mushrooms, oregano, and garlic salt. Stir until well combined.
- Place the top and bottom buns inside up on a baking sheet.
- Spoon the meat mixture onto the buns.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Love burgers? Try these recipes!
- Backyard Burger
- Culver’s Burgers
- Garlic Burger
- Juicy Lucy
- Old Fashioned Hamburgers
- Pimento Cheese Burger
- Stuffed Burgers
- Vegan Burger
- White Castle Burger
Favorite Sandwich Recipes
Check out more of my easy burger recipes and family favorite recipes here on CopyKat!
The recipe comes from Sue A. Mertens Minick from Hazelwood, MO. She actually found this site on the internet! Turns out she is family of mine.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 can sliced mushrooms drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 6 hamburger buns or English muffins
- Brown meat and drain,
- Add tomato sauce, mushrooms, oregano, and garlic salt to the meat and mix well.
- Place the top and bottom buns on a baking sheet, inside up.
- Spoon meat mixture onto the buns or English muffins.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until bubbly. More cheese can be added if desired.
The original pizzaburger was a franchise item that originated in Wisconsin They were sold mainly at drive inn roadside dairy treat stores many years ago. check out the website for the history.
pizza-burger system inc.com
Mike Rumsky is right! The best part is that we can still get the Original Pizza-Burger Seasoning at pizza-burger.com.