Smashburger Buffalo Burger is a bit unusual, as it is a hamburger, but it is prepared “buffalo” style. You so often find buffalo chicken sandwiches, but at Smashburger you can get a buffalo-style burger.
Smashburger makes some of the best burgers you will ever find in a restaurant. They use high-quality ingredients and they make everything to order.
It’s hard to go wrong when burgers are handcrafted burger patties seared and seasoned to order using fresh, never frozen beef.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Seasoned salt
- Ground beef chuck
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Brioche hamburger buns
- 1 cup lettuce shredded, optional
- 1 tomato sliced, optional
I recommend using ground chuck for this recipe. It has the right amount of fat to lean ratio to make a flavorful burger.
The supporting cast for this burger includes a brioche bun, so it isn’t your average burger bun.
Buffalo Burger Toppings
The Smashburger Buffalo Burger is dressed very simply.
You will make a homemade buffalo sauce and you will need crumbled blue cheese. I personally like Maytag blue cheese, if available, you may want to purchase this, if not, use what your grocery store sells.
If desired you can add tomatoes and fresh lettuce to this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Cook a Smashed Burger
Let’s address the cooking technique for this burger. The meat patties are first formed into a ball, then the burger is literally smashed onto the hot grill when it is cooked.
When you physically smash the burger onto the grill you will help force the meat to brown and get crispy on the surface.
You will also liberally season the burger with homemade seasoning. It’s important to season the burger while cooking so the best flavors are brought out.
Smashburger uses a griddle to cook their burgers. If you don’t have a griddle at home, I recommend a good old-fashioned cast-iron skillet. They do a wonderful job of browning meat. One of the characteristics that make Smashburger so good is the browning of the ground beef.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
Buffalo sauce is the sauce of choice for this burger. You will make a simple buffalo sauce.
I do have a brand recommendation for this sauce recipe. My recommendation is Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. Frank’s Red Hot Sauce has a great flavor, it isn’t too hot, and it has a well-rounded flavor. Unlike Tobasco, it gives flavor in addition to heat.
Everyone that loves buffalo-style food is going to love this burger!
Love Smashburger? Try these copycat recipes!
Favorite Burger Recipes
- Backyard Burger
- Breakfast Burger
- Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- Culver’s Butter Burger
- Double Cheeseburger
- Frisco Burger
- Garlic Burger
- Juicy Lucy
- Pimento Cheese Burger
- Vegan Burger
Smashburger Buffalo Burger
Buffalo Style Sauce
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 4 hamburger buns brioche style
- 1 cup lettuce shredded, optional
- 1 tomato sliced
- Prepare hot sauce by combining all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until butter is melted, and all is well blended. Set aside.
- Prepare burger seasoning by combining kosher salt, ground black pepper, and seasoned salt in a small bowl.
- Divide ground chuck into 4 different portions. Roll meat into a ball. Heat grill to a medium-high heat. Place meat portions on the grill. Press meat into the grill, and then liberally season with burger seasoning. Flip meat patty once the bottom has browned, season the top of the burger. Brush buns with butter, and toast on the grill.
- To assemble burger place down the bottom bun, the burger, add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of hot sauce to the burger, and then top burger with blue cheese crumbles. Add shredded lettuce and tomatoes if desired.