You can make a copycat Smashburger French Onion burger at home. It is so easy to make this amazing burger at home.
Table of Contents
Smashburger makes some of the best hamburgers that you can buy. They are flavorful, made with fresh meat, and made fresh to order. Smashburger is unique in how they prepare their burgers.
Smashburger smashes the meat into the grill while cooking. By smashing the meat onto the grill the flavor and juice get locked into the meat. Smashburger does not use ordinary ground beef for their burgers they use minced chuck steak. Using higher-quality meats means that you get a better burger.
What makes the Smashburger French Onion Burger so special
Their French onion burger is a fun new burger that they serve on their limited menu. This burger features sauteed onions, Boursin cheese, swiss cheese, and two patties all served up on a delightful onion bun. It’s not every day that you can find a burger that packs so much flavor in itself.
This isn’t your ordinary burger, it is one that is extraordinary. The combination of Boursin and Swiss cheese you send up with a burger that is going to make you want to say “oui-oui”.
If you have never purchased Boursin cheese it is a brand of cheese that combines Gournay Cheese and mouthwatering herbs and spices to create an array of delicious flavors. It is delicately wrapped in a signature foil to preserve freshness.
I have to be honest here, I love Boursin cheese. A slice of it makes an ordinary grilled chicken breast into something extraordinary. Whenever I have guests over I love to serve up some Boursin cheese, the plate of Boursin cheese always comes back empty. The creaminess of this cheese is the perfect substitution for mayonnaise or mustard on a burger.
Copycat Smashburger French Onion Burger
- 4 Onion Buns
- 1 white onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- Boursin cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Prepare burger seasoning, and use for the recipe. In a small bowl combine the kosher salt, ground black pepper, and garlic salt.
- Saute onions with butter on the grill. Sprinkle burger seasoning on the onions. Cook the onions until they are tender. Do not brown the onions.
- Butter each of the buns and cook the buns on the grill. Cook the buns on the grill until they are lightly brown.
- Form 8 balls of the burger meat. Heat the grill to about 350 degrees. Place the balls on the grill. Smash burger meat onto the grill. Season with burger seasoning.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes flip and continue to cook on the other side. Place 1 slice of Swiss cheese on each burger while they are on the grill.
- Build the burger by building up from the bottom by adding the two burgers with cheese on each bun. Then top with grilled onions, and spread some Boursin cheese on the top bun. Top the burger with the top bun.