Copycat Smashburger Truffle Mushroom Swiss Burger is an amazing cheeseburger that you just have to try, The truffle mayonnaise takes a traditional mushroom Swiss burger over the top.
Smashburger makes an amazing flavorful hamburger. They use fresh meat and season it simply and they actually smash it onto the grill. By smashing the burger onto the grill the meat develops wonderful browning, and the juices are seared on the inside. Their burgers are juicy, so hands down they make one of the best burgers you can get in a restaurant.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smashburger Truffle Mushroom Swiss Burger Ingredients
Let’s walk through the ingredients that you need, you will need to use ground chuck, you want beef that has a fair amount of fat in it. I like to use ground chuck as it is about 20% fat. The fat makes the beef juicy, if you want to use ground round, you just aren’t going to get the same result. Any more fat and the beef flavor won’t come through.
We will season the burger with a simple mix of salt, pepper, and seasoned salt.
How to Cook Smashed Burgers
To smash the burgers onto the grill you may want to wrap a large can with foil, or you may want to use another skillet to smash the burger into the grill, or you can use two spatulas and really press the meat onto the grill.
I like to cook these burgers on a cast iron skillet. Iron skillets are ideal for browning meat, as they conduct heat very well. These burgers will cook rapidly, they will cook in just about 2 or 3 minutes.
This burger is a truffle mushroom swiss. You will need to use truffle oil to flavor up your mayonnaise. Most grocery stores sell inexpensive truffle oil. You can purchase a truffle oil online. Since we are mixing it with mayonnaise I would not spend a lot of money on it. So we will make a simple truffle mayonnaise by adding a little truffle oil to mayonnaise.
We will also quickly sear some mushrooms and onions together for this recipe. This adds a wonderful flavor to the burger. A little butter and some of the burger seasoning will make this part of the burger.
Finally, we will use an egg bun for this burger, and some Swiss Cheese.
I know you are going to love this burger as much as I do. You will need a few key ingredients, and you can make one of the best hamburgers around at home.
Love burgers? Be sure to check out these copycat burgers:
- Steak and Shake Garlic Double Steakburger
- Culver’s Butter Burgers
- Smashburger French Onion Burger
- Applebees Quesadilla Burger
- Your Best Backyard Burger Ever
Smashburger Truffle Mushroom Swiss Burger
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon truffle oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Grilled Mushrooms and Onions
- 1 cup sliced white onions
- 2 cups sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese
- 4 hamburger buns (use egg buns if available)
- Prepare the burger seasoning by combining the kosher salt, black pepper, and the seasoned salt in a small container. You will use the burger seasoning for both the burgers and the mushrooms and onions.
- Prepare the truffle mayonnaise by combining the truffle oil and mayonnaise in a small container and set aside. You will have some left over. You may want to dip your fries in the extra mayonnaise.
- Divide the ground meat into 8 equal portions of beef. Press the beef into round balls.
- Prepare the mushrooms and onions by heating up the skillet to medium-high. Add butter, when the butter has melted sear the mushrooms and onions. Season the mushrooms and onions with a pinch or two of the burger seasoning. Cook the mushrooms and onions by flipping occasionally and when they have begun to brown remove from the pan and set aside.
- Do not wipe out the skillet. Place 3 or 4 balls of beef (depends on the size of your skillet), and smash the burger into the hot skillet. You can mash with a wrapped large can, or two spatulas (press one over the other one). When the burger patty is flattened, season liberally with burger seasoning. The burger will hiss and sizzle while cooking, after about a minute or so you will want to flip over the burger patty. Top the patty with some additional seasoning and then the swiss cheese, cook for another 30 seconds or so and you will need to remove the patty from the grill.
- Build the burger by spreading truffle mayonnaise onto both the top and bottom buns. Add the burger with cheese, then some of the mushrooms and onions, then the other burger with cheese, and top that with additional mushrooms and onions. Add the top bun.