Have you ever wanted to try a Steak and Shake Frisco Patty Melt? This is a delicious burger that is hard to put down. One bite and you will be convinced this is one tasty burger.
Steak and Shake makes some of the best burgers out there. Did you know their meat is never frozen, and fresh meat can taste better than frozen burgers?
They also use a unique mix of beef. Did you know that they use several cuts of beef to make their specially ground beef? They use a combination of round, sirloin, and T-bone steak. This mix of beef makes their burger patties extra unique and gives them an added flavor.
For this recipe, I will use a mix of ground round, ground sirloin, and ground chuck. If you only want to purchase one type of ground beef, I would suggest that you go with ground sirloin. It has a medium amount of fat when compared to ground round and ground chuck.
This patty melt has two different types of cheese. You will use Swiss cheese and American cheese for this recipe. The combination of the two cheese gives this burger a good variety in the flavor.
Swiss cheese gives you a wonderful nuttiness and the American cheese melts into perfection.
The bread for the Steak and Shake Frisco Patty Melt is sourdough bread. Many other patty melts are made with pumpernickel or another style of bread. Your favorite sourdough will work out well for your burger.
In the restaurant, they butter the bread with a special machine. The “butter” that they use, really isn’t butter. It is a spread that helps the bread brown nicely, makes the bread a little crispy, and gives a butter taste.
At home, you would spread some softened butter on your bread.
The sauce on this bread is a mix of French Salad Dressing, Thousand Island Salad Dressing, a touch of ketchup, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
What makes the Steak and Shake Frisco Melt unique is they do not prepare grilled onions for their sandwich. You could do this if you desire, but that isn’t something that they do in the restaurant.
Want more great burgers? Check out these recipes
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
- Culver’s Burgers
- How to Make a White Castle Burger
- Best Garlic Burger Recipe
- Hamburger McDonalds
- Burger King Whopper Sandwich
- Big Mac
- Chicken Fried Steak Burger
- Juicy Lucy Burger
Popular Fast Food Sandwich Recipes
- Chick Fil A Sandwich Recipe
- Chicken Salad Chick Sandwiches
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Be sure to take a look a more of my easy recipes with ground beef and the best fast food copycat recipes.
Steak and Shake Frisco Patty Melt
- 8 ounces ground round
- 4 ounces ground sirloin
- 4 ounces ground chuck
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1/2 cup French Salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the ground round, ground sirloin, and ground chuck. Combine and mix. Allow meat to rest about 10 minutes in the refrigerator before forming 4 - 4-ounce balls of meat.
- While the meat is resting combine the salt, black pepper, onion salt, and garlic salt in a small bowl. You will use this burger seasoning on the burger.
- Prepare the Frisco sauce by combining the thousand island dressing, French salad dressing, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl.
- Preheat the griddle to 375 degrees, if you do not have a griddle I suggest that you use a large cast iron pan. If you have a large griddle butter 4 pieces of bread on one side, and allow the bread to toast on the griddle while the burger cook. If you do not have a griddle you may want to toast the bread on one side in your skillet before you cook the beef.
- Once the cooking surface had heated up fully place the meatballs onto the skillet. You will need to press the burgers into thin patties. Use a spatula to press the burgers into thin patties. Season with the burger seasoning. These burgers cook very quickly 2 to 3 minutes on the first side. Once the edges begin to brown flip the burgers and season them again. Place the 4 slices of cheese onto the meat patties. They will need to cook for another minute or two before they have cooked through.
- To build the burgers spread the Frisco sauce on the untoasted portion of the bread liberally. Build your burger starting with a piece of the toasted bread, and then place a meat patty topped with Swiss cheese, and then one topped with American cheese, and top with a piece of toasted bread.
Way way way too much salt. I made the seasoning mixture as called for, didn’t even add all of it, and it still was too salty. I will definitely make again, but will go lighter on the seasoning or even season all the meat at one time instead of while cooking each side.
I am very sorry you felt my level of suggested seasoning was not to your taste.
Just perfect….I tasted the sauce alone and it doesn’t taste like steak and shake…but my god, you put it on a melt of yours and bam…it becomes the Frisco Melt lol.
Well, that’s the idea 😉
This sauce is half way right and the comment above is half way right. The Frisco sauce is thousand island and French dressing 50/50. There is no ketchup or Worcestershire sauce in the Frisco Melt, they’re is the chili mac sauce. I worked at Steak N Shake for two.years and so has almost every member of my family.
I want both sides of my rye bread toasted in the skillet with butter(although sourdough is a close second), my onions grilled in butter, cheese on the first bread, then burger(salt and pepper yes!)on top of that cheese. Slap those beautiful grilled onions (the more the better) then slap o some more cheese (to hold the onions) top with second bread. When bottom cheese starts to melt, flip that whole baby and grill the other side, until all cheese is melted. If it drips when I take a bite, it’s done! That’s a Patty Melt!!
That sounds like a great way to make a patty melt.
Delicious! Looks fabulous!
I worked at Steak N Shake for years. The meat comes to the store frozen. Frisco sauce is 1000 Island dressing. They have what is called a Frisco Melt and then your regular Patty Melt that is on Rye bread and has grilled onions. The Frisco Melt is on sourdough as noted with American and Swiss. There isn’t any kind of seasoning on the hamburger patties themselves. Not even salt and pepper.
Yes, I’ve had theirs, and a “patty melt without grilled onions “is NOT a real great tasting patty melt”.
Also, their sauce combo was “way too sweet”, with that ketchup added…I think you “nailed it” here copying theirs…But, I just was disappointed in “their way”.(except for the meat mix and sour dough bread:)