If you’ve ever been to McDonald’s, you have tried a McDonald’s Big Mac. Now you can create your own homemade Big Mac recipe! The Big Mac ingredients include two hamburger patties, American cheese, “special sauce” (a variant of Thousand Island dressing), iceberg lettuce, pickles, and onions, served in a three-part sesame seed bun.
History of the Big Mac
This famous hamburger was created by Jim Delligatti who owned several McDonald’s franchises in the Pittsburgh area. Although not all Big Macs are made exactly the same, this burger is sold all around the world.
The one we have come to know and love became popular in 1974 with this jingle, “Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions – on a sesame seed bun.” This marketing campaign will not let us forget all of the Big Mac ingredients.
What is special about the Special Sauce?
The special sauce is really just a form of thousand island dressing. It isn’t made in McDonald’s stores anymore. It now comes in an airtight container that gets squirted out like you would a chaulking gun. But you can make it yourself! My personal version of their “special sauce” is a fairly close approximation of the sauce. We really love it and you will too.
How to Make Big Mac Burger Buns
As you know, Big Mac’s have three layers of buns. The McDonald’s Big Mac Burger buns are easy to make at home. I use a package of hamburger buns but we are going to use some of the buns as the middle. So if you use a package of 8 hamburger buns you can make about five homemade Big Macs. Cut the top off of the top bun to make it even, then use the bottom half as the middle portion of the Big Mac.
What You Need for a Homemade Big Mac
You might wonder why you would want to create your own homemade Big Mac instead of going through the drive-thru? I personally think this tastes better. If you are concerned about preservatives that can be found in fast food. making everything from scratch like the homemade hamburger buns and homemade mayonnaise, you know exactly what you are eating.
Here’s what else you need:
- Ground Chuck meat
- Salt & Pepper
- American Cheese
- Minced Onion
- Pickle Slices
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Special Sauce
You will first season the hamburger meat with salt and pepper. Shape into 10 thin patties. Grill the patties to your liking.
Spread butter on cut sides of the buns and add to grill until it browns slightly. Make sure the middle bun toasts on each side.
Add the secret sauce, lettuce, cheese, onions and one patty to the bottom bun. Top it off with the middle bun.
Then add the sauce. lettuce, pickles, onion and another patty to the middle bun. Top with the top bun and you are all set.
Love burgers? Try these recipes
- Butter Burger
- The Whopper
- Make Your Own White Castle Burgers
- Steak N Shake Burger
- Truffle Burger
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Burger
- Pizza Burger
- Big Mouth Burger Bites
- McDonalds Hamburger
- Basic Burger Seasoning
Popular McDonald’s Drinks
What is your favorite Mcdonald’s recipe? Share your favorites below in the comments. Remember to follow us on INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK. And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter so you don’t miss another McDonald’s copycat recipe.
Homemade Big Mac
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ¼ cup
- 5 slices of American cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 15 dill pickle slices
- In a bowl combine ground chuck and salt and pepper. Shape meat into 10 meat patties. Shape patties somewhat thin. Set a griddle to 350 degrees. Place meat on the griddle and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Flip burgers and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until juices from the meat run clear.
- Spread softened butter on cut sides of bun and place on griddle until the bread begins to brown. Flip the middle bun and allow to toast on both sides.
- Build the burger by starting at the bottom. The bottom bun, Big Mac sauce, onions, lettuce, cheese, hamburger patty, and the middle bun. Spread the Big Mac sauce, onion, lettuce, hamburger patty, two or three pickle slices, and finally the top bun.