McDonald’s M&M McFlurry is a tasty ice cream treat. This simple 3 ingredient DIY recipe for a homemade McFlurry with the famous candy-coated chocolate pieces is sure to be a favorite!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Makes the McDonald’s M&M McFlurry So Good?
Everyone knows that McDonald’s has some of the best ice cream (when the machines are working) at any fast food restaurant. That means their famous McFlurries, a super-thick milkshake-like dessert combining vanilla ice cream with different mix-ins, are pretty popular menu items.
While the chain serves several flavors, one of the most popular is McDonald’s McFlurry with M and M candies. Although there is nothing too complicated about this ice cream treat, the taste is tough to beat.
Why You Should Try Making This at Home
Besides the pesky problem of McDonald’s ice cream machines being down so frequently, who wants to have to drag themselves to a Mickey D’s every time they get a craving?
Mixing up a McFlurry with M&M’s at home is so easy that you can prepare one in about the same amount of time it takes to get into the car and pull out of the driveway. Plus, you can add whatever you want when you make a McFlury at home. Check out the variations section below for a few great ideas.
M&M McFlurry Ingredients
To prepare a McFlurry with M&M’s, you’ll need these 3 simple ingredients:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whole milk
- Mini M&M’s candy
You can save money without losing out on taste by not using premium ice cream for this recipe. After mixing the ice cream with milk and M&M’s, you won’t notice any difference.
Regular-sized M&M’s are OK to use as well. You can crush them into smaller bits by placing them in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet to crush them.
How to Make McDonald’s Mcflurry With M and M’s Candies
To mix up a McFlurry:
- Pour the milk into the jar of the blender. Adding the milk first gives the blades a little extra room to help prevent them from getting stuck in the ice cream.
- Put the vanilla ice cream on top of the milk. If the ice cream is frozen solid, let it sit for a few minutes on the countertop before scooping. McDonald’s uses soft serve ice cream to make McFlurries, so it is best not to use straight-from-the-freezer ice cream to recreate the same texture at home.
- Cover the blender and pulse a few times. Remember, you are not making a milkshake, and you don’t want McFlurry thin enough to be able to drink.
- Add the mini M&M’s and pulse a few more times to distribute the candy evenly.
- Pour the mixture into glasses and enjoy!
What to Serve It With a McFlurry With M&M’s
A long-handled spoon is a must to reach all of the McFlurry. If you are hungry, try pairing a McFlurry with a burger, hot dog, or French fries.
Go ahead and get as creative as you want with your copycat McFlurry. Here are just a few riffs on the classic recipe to play with:
- For a shake consistency, add more milk, heavy cream, or condensed milk and blend until it’s like a milkshake.
- Make it a chocolate McFlurry by using chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla.
- Use other varieties of M&M’s. Peanut M&M’s, Pretzel M&M’s, or Dark Chocolate M&M’s would all work well.
- Turn the McFlurry with M&M’s into a sundae by serving it in a bowl and topping it with hot fudge, caramel sauce, whipped cream, and even more M&M’s.
- If you don’t like M&M’s, you can add just about any other candy or candy bars. Butterfinger, Skor, Heath, Reese’s Pieces, Peanut Butter Cups, and Sno-Caps are good choices.
More McDonald’s Milkshake and McFlurry Recipes
Favorite Ice Cream Recipes
- Cake Batter Ice Cream
- Chocolate Frosty
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- French Vanilla Ice Cream
- Frosted Lemonade
- Oreo Blizzard
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Strawberry Frosty
McDonald’s M&M McFlurry
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 cup Mini M&M’s
- Blend the ice cream and milk in a blender until well combined.
- Add the M&M’s and pulse a few times to mix in the candies.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy!