Zucchini bread was a treat we had during the summer when I was growing up. Gardening often means a large bounty of vegetables, zucchini bread was one of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh zucchini during the summer.
Growing up we had a huge garden, all of a sudden we would have an onslaught of zucchini. Zucchini bread was a sweet treat my Mother made during the summer. I loved the when zucchini was fresh from our garden. She served zucchini in bread, and then coated with cracker crumbs and fried. I never could decide which was my favorite way to enjoy zucchini bread.
If you have never tried zucchini bread, you will find it is moist something like banana bread. Zucchini is very mild; it may be difficult to understand how a green vegetable tastes so fantastic, but it does. The bread is moist like banana bread; the flavors mostly come from the nuts, the sugar, and the cinnamon. So this bread makes a nice breakfast, it also makes for an excellent snack, or even goes with a cup of coffee.
I like cream cheese frosting on my zucchini bread; it gives this bread more of a dessert flavor, but I promise this is something you will enjoy.
To make this recipe I like to use a box grater for my zucchini, then I like to wrap my zucchini with a paper towel and squeeze out as much of the water as I can. I then measure the zucchini. Sometimes zucchini can hold more water, by squeezing out the excess water I know I will get reliable results every time I make the bread.
Homemade Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnut
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Grate zucchini with box grater. Place shredded zucchini in a paper towel, squeeze out the excess water. Then measure out the two cups of zucchini after the water has been removed. This should take almost 2 medium-sized zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Cream together the eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer. Gently add in the sifted flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir in zucchini and chopped walnuts. Prepare two loaf pans by spraying the pans with non-stick spray. Pour batter evenly between the two pans. Bake for approximately 40 to 50 minutes or until when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to rest in the pans for about 10 minutes before allowing the bread fo finish cooling on a wire rack. Prepare the cream cheese frosting by combining the butter, and cream cheese with a mixer. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread the frosting over the zucchini bread. Once frosted this bread should be stored in the refrigerator.