Fried Zucchini Chips are a wonderful way to enjoy fresh zucchini. Fried Zucchini makes a delicious appetizer or even a side dish.
Fried zucchini chips are a wonderful way to enjoy fresh zucchini. This fried zucchini recipe makes a delicious appetizer or even a side dish.
Zucchini is a very prolific plant. If you grow some in your garden, you may get more zucchini than you can handle. In July and August, you may need a stack of recipes to use up your zucchini. Two suggestions are zucchini bread or zucchini cake.
One of my favorite fried zucchini recipes is fried zucchini chips. You can prepare this recipe for fried zucchini not only in the summer but any time you feel like eating zucchini.
Fried Zucchini Ingredients
These fried zucchini chips are light and crunchy. They are made with zucchini, saltine cracker crumbs, and eggs to make a fried zucchini batter.
How to Make Fried Zucchini From Scratch
This fried zucchini recipe is very easy to make. You simply need to wash the zucchini and slice them about 1/4 inch thick. (Slicing them fairly thinly means they’ll get soft in the middle in the short amount of time they are frying in the oil.) Then you make a simple egg wash, coat the zucchini with cracker crumbs, and fry them.
How to Fry Zucchini
Once coated, the zucchini rounds are fried in 350-degree vegetable oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are golden brown. Space out your zucchini slices in the pan, and don’t move them around too much while frying.
How Do You Keep Fried Zucchini From Getting Soggy?
The key to creating non-soggy fried zucchini is high heat and pan-frying in one layer very quickly. The goal is a lovely brown caramelized surface and a just cooked interior.
Remove as much liquid as possible from the sliced zucchini before frying. To do this, season the slices with salt and let them sit for a few minutes. The salt will pull water from the zucchini. Then pat dry with paper towels.
Serve cooked zucchini dishes immediately as cooked zucchini softens as it sits.
What Goes Well With Breaded Zucchini?
When it comes to appetizers, fried zucchini is hard to beat. Serve with some ranch dressing or marinara sauce for dipping. Here are some other ideas to accompany your fried zucchini.
- Serve with fresh mozzarella and sliced tomatoes.
- Fried zucchini is terrific with goat cheese and pine nuts.
- These zucchini rounds are perfect for serving with fish, scallops, or a seafood salad. Think smoked or baked salmon, fried catfish, or baked halibut.
- They also go well with grilled steak tips.
How Do You Get Breading to Stick to Vegetables?
When breading anything, remember this rule:
Wet will stick to dry, and dry will stick to wet.
(Dry and dry and wet and wet doesn’t work.)
To get breading to stick to your zucchini or some other vegetable, first pat the veggies until they are really dry. Then dredge them in some seasoned flour (rice flour or cornstarch produces a crispier end product). Next, dredge the veggies in your wet batter, e.g., an egg wash. Finish by dunking in whatever crumbs you are using. Don’t cake on too much batter, or it will just fall off during frying. Aim for a nice, even thin coating of your delicious batter.
Fried Zucchini Variations
This fried zucchini side dish takes no time at all to make. And, you could think up fried zucchini recipes of your own, such as:
- Switching out the cracker crumbs for bread crumbs.
- Using panko breadcrumbs for extra crispiness.
- Using seasoned croutons crumbled in your food processor.
- Adding a tablespoon or two of parmesan cheese.
- Adding some garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Using yellow squash or eggplant instead of zucchini.
Looking for other ways to prepare fresh Zucchini? Check out these recipes:
More Fried Food Recipes
- Fried Cheese Appetizer
- Fried Cheese Curds Recipe Without Beer
- Beer Battered Shrimp
- Tempura Fried Shrimp
- Homestyle Fried Chicken
- Fried Chicken Nugget Recipe
- Fried Steak Sandwich
- Chicken Fried Potato Wedges
- Fried Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers
- Fried Cabbage with Sausage
Fried Zucchini Recipe
- 2 zucchini medium
- 2 1/2 cups saltine cracker crumbs
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil for frying
- Wash zucchini, and slice into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Scramble two eggs in a shallow dish.
- Place zucchini rounds into the egg wash, then coat with cracker crumbs.
- Fry the cracker crumb coated zucchini chips in 350-degree vegetable oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until the zucchini chips are golden brown and crispy. Remove the fried zucchini with a slotted spoon.
- Drain zucchini rounds on a wire rack before serving.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- Substitute the cracker crumbs for panko crumbs