If you’re looking for the perfect recipe to keep Sunday dinner a family-favorite, look no further than Cracker Barrel’s Sunday chicken. This recipe will have your whole house smelling like the classic Southern restaurant that so many people love. The best part is that it’s easy to recreate in your own kitchen! Homestyle comfort food has never tasted so good, add some country sides, and you will have the perfect meal any day of the week.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Cracker Barrel Sunday Chicken
Cracker Barrel is well known for its down-home menu, and this chicken recipe is no exception. I know I have made a point to go there on a Sunday to try this delicious homestyle chicken.
This chicken is easy to make and will remind you of the excellent fried chicken the ladies in your family used to make. This recipe has boneless chicken breasts hand-dipped in Cracker Barrel’s special buttermilk batter. The result is a flavorful and crispy chicken fried chicken.
Why you should try this copycat recipe from Cracker Barrel Old Country Store
This recipe is only served on Sundays if you go to the restaurant. So you can only enjoy this traditional southern fare on Sundays. You can make this recipe any day of this week. This golden-fried Sunday homestyle chicken is packed full of flavor. When I make this at home I like to make some homemade cream gravy to enjoy the chicken. There is nothing as satisfying as good southern cooking.
Here’s what you need to make southern fried chicken:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- All-purpose flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Oil for frying
Buttermilk gives this dish its unique taste. If you can get it, I love Borden’s Country Style buttermilk; it is rich and thick buttermilk for this recipe.
I tried making this with the powdered buttermilk that you rehydrate with water, but it didn’t give me good results. This is one of the few times I specifically buy buttermilk for cooking. You can always make some buttermilk biscuits with this to help use up all of the buttermilk.
The chicken is deep-fried in oil. In this order, I recommend oil for deep frying: peanut oil, cottonseed oil, Crisco brand shortening, then generic vegetable oil.
I like how peanut oil crisps everything up, and if you are clean with your batter by shaking all of the excess loose flour off, you can reuse the oil later. Again, this is my preference, but I often get asked this
How to Make Cracker Barrel Sunday Homestyle Chicken
- Pour enough oil into a deep fryer or large pot 3 to 4 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and water.
- Pound chicken breasts between wax paper or plastic wrap until uniform in thickness.
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and season them with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and shake off excess.
- Dip floured chicken into the buttermilk mixture.
- Dredge the chicken again in the flour.
- Deep-fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil until golden brown and done, about 7 to 8 minutes (internal temperature is 165°F). Turn the chicken over while frying.
- Remove the fried chicken from the oil and drain it on a wire rack.
This chicken is prepared quickly so that you can have this on your dinner table in about 20 minutes. So this is a perfect main dish for any night of the week.
How to store leftover Sunday Homestyle Chicken
Store any leftover portions in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze the chicken for up to 3 months in an airtight container in the freezer for best results.
How to reheat chicken fried chicken
For best results, I like to reheat this in my air fryer. I reheat it for about 7 to 8 minutes at 375 degrees in my air fryer. When you reheat this in the microwave the crust retains some of its crispiness. You can reheat this in the microwave, for about 1 minute on high power.
Popular Cracker Barrel Copycat Recipes
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Hamburger Steak
- Hashbrown Casserole Recipe Cracker Barrel
- Easy Meatloaf Recipe with Crackers
- Southern Breakfast Casserole
Easy Chicken Recipes
- Roast Chicken Leg Quarters
- PF Chang Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Whataburger Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken and Black Bean Crockpot Recipe
- How to Make Chicken Nuggets like Chick Fil A
- Japanese Fried Chicken Cutlet
- Alice Chicken Outback Steakhouse
- Chicken Crispers at Chilis
Cracker Barrel Sunday Homestyle Chicken
- oil for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Pour 3 to 4 inches of oil into a deep fryer or large pot and heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Prepare seasoned flour by combining the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and water.
- If your chicken breasts are not fairly uniform in size, place them between two pieces of wax paper and gently pound them out with a meat pounder until they are more uniform in size. This will help with even cooking times.
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and then dredge them in the seasoned flour.
- Dip floured chicken in buttermilk.
- Dredge the chicken again in the seasoned flour.
- Deep-fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil until done, about 7 to 8 minutes. Turn the chicken breasts over while frying to make sure both sides of the chicken are golden brown.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the oil and drain on a wire rack.