Chilis Chicken Crispers copycat recipe is a great way to enjoy the original Chilis Chicken Crispers at home.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s amazing to find out that what started in 1975 as a funky little hamburger joint named Chili’s, in what was originally a post office in Dallas, Texas, has turned into an international eatery chain with more than 1,600 locations in 33 countries. Only in America! Read more about the history of Chili’s.
Upside Down for Luck
Did you know that there’s one photo hanging upside down in most Chili’s locations? If you’ve never noticed, take a look the next time you go.
The tradition appears to have begun with the very first Chili’s when a photo was hung the wrong way on purpose. The upside down picture symbolizes that good luck will arrive for everyone that eats at Chili’s. Another reason to eat there, besides the delicious food!
Why Chili’s Chicken Crispers are Different
These crispers stand out because they are a delightful international cross between a tempura texture (Japan) and a fish and chips texture (Britain). The yummy batter is so smooth, light, and super crispy that you’ll find yourself sneaking morsels of it while still cooking.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Chicken tenders
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Ground black pepper
- Club soda
- Dijon mustard
- Cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
Does Chili’s Use MSG?
Yes, Chili’s does use MSG as a seasoning accent. However, my copycat recipe does not have MSG as an ingredient.
The Dipping Sauce
Two “honey” favorites at Chili’s are Chili’s Honey Chipotle Sauce and Chili’s Honey Mustard Sauce. These are also easy to make at home. My recipe includes the honey mustard sauce for the crispers.
How to Make Chili’s Chicken Crispers
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Place club soda and egg in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Allow the batter to sit for a few minutes.
- Pat dry the chicken tenders with a paper towel.
- Dredge the chicken tenders in flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Dip floured chicken tenders into the batter.
- Fry a few chicken tenders at a time.
- Place fried tenders on a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, cayenne, and honey in a small bowl.
- Serve chicken crispers with honey mustard sauce.
I really love my TFal deep fryer. It makes deep frying a snap.
What Goes with Chili’s Chicken Crispers?
Here are some suggestions for side dishes to serve these delicious crispers with:
Chili’s Chicken Crispers have a wonderfully delicious crispy crust. They’re really easy to make at home, and the batter is also great for fish! Chili’s Chicken Crispers will be a favorite with you and your kids.
Love Chilis? Try these copycat recipes!
What is your favorite Chili’s menu item? What recipe do I need to tackle next? Let me know in the comments!
Favorite Fried Chicken Recipes
Chilis Chicken Crispers
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup club soda plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup honey
- vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Make the batter by first combining the club soda and the egg together. Whisk together until they form a uniform mixture.
- Then add in the dry ingredients: 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, pepper. Stir together. Allow the batter to sit for a few minutes.
- Remove chicken from package and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Dredge the chicken in 1/2 cup flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Dip floured chicken into the batter and fry a few pieces at a time. If there is any additional batter left over, you could make some onion rings, but the excess batter should be discarded.
- Prepare honey mustard by combining mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, cayenne, and honey. Stir well. You can store the honey mustard for about a week in your refrigerator.