This video is part of my learn to cook series. I recently came across my old home economics cookbook, and I am working my way through the whole cookbook cooking each recipe, and shooting a video for each recipe. This way I can show you how I learned how to cook. Perhaps you need to learn how to cook as well.
Why make homemade coleslaw?
We are making a very simple homemade coleslaw recipe. I know you can now purchase coleslaw in the grocery store pre-made. You can also make coleslaw from scratch. Why would you want to? You may want to customize it the way you like. When you make it from scratch you can add more onion if you desire. You could add some shredded carrot, or even some shredded apple for a nice change. You may also want to control the amount of sugar, or even use a sugar substitute in this recipe. Now you have a nice basic recipe to work from.
I sometimes add a little purple cabbage when I make homemade coleslaw. This gives your salad a nice color, and it is a simple addition. Here is a trick if you only need a few leaves of purple cabbage, just buy that much when you go to the grocery store. You can simply peel off a few leaves of the purple cabbage and pay for what you want. I learned this trick when I used to work in grocery stores years ago.
This recipe is very simple, we are going to make a creamy dressing that is simple, and tastes wonderful. I bet you already have most of these ingredients in your pantry right now.
Love Coleslaw? Check out these other great coleslaw recipes
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage finely shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Mix together the salad dressing by combining the mayonnaise, vinegar, cream, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Mix together the cole slaw dressing with the shredded cabbage, celery, and chopped white onion. Cover cole slaw, and allow to rest for at least 1 hour before serving.