Chicken nuggets, who doesn’t love them? Crispy, crunchy, bite-sized pieces of chicken that you can dunk into anything your heart desires makes chicken nuggets unique. Does the thought of commercial chicken nuggets scare you? Make your own.
Normally I like to duplicate a restaurant’s particular recipe. After doing some reading on chicken nuggets and what is in them, I have decided to show you how you can make homemade chicken nuggets that contain no meat slurries, no processed meat, but ones that are simply good chicken breast and made from scratch. I am not one to spread doom and gloom or am I out to scare you, I want you to enjoy many of your favorite restaurant dishes at home. Most chicken nuggets aren’t pieces of meat as they were cut from the chicken, but they are processed.
I think you can make better tasting chicken nuggets from scratch and enjoy these at home. You can make up a large batch, and freeze them, then microwave them or even bake them up for when you and your family need a meal in a quick hurry.
For this recipe I am using organic chicken breasts, yes, you can use organic meats when you cook at home. I personally like to buy organic when I can, and if I can’t, I like to get the meat that is raised without hormones and antibiotics. Living in a large town, I am lucky, and I often have that option.
For this recipe, I am using a very simple breading I am first dredging the chicken in a seasoned flour mixture, then I dip the chicken into a milk and egg wash. The chicken finally goes into Panko bread crumbs. If you are unable to get Panko bread crumbs, you can simply dip them back into the seasoned flour mixture.
When cooking the chicken nuggets I am going to use peanut oil, I like it best for frying. My second choice is Crisco Shortening, and if that isn’t available I like to use other liquid vegetable oils. I like peanut oil because I think it handles the high heat well, and you can reuse your oil, simply filter it, and use it again.
So let’s make those homemade chicken nuggets. You and your family should try these the way they were meant to taste.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs (optional)
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. in a shallow dish blend together flour, salt, and black pepper. In another small dish add milk, and beat 1 egg into the milk until well you have a uniform mixture. Pl
- ace Panko bread crumbs into another shallow dish. Dredge chicken into the seasoned flour, shake off excess flour, then dip chicken into the milk and egg wash. Dredge chicken with Panko breadcrumbs. (Optional if you can not find Panko breadcrumbs, you can dredge the chicken nuggets back into the seasoned flour.).
- Place chicken nuggets onto a wrack and let rest a couple of minutes before frying. Heat oil to 350 degrees. When the oil is hot fry several pieces at once, do not overcrowd the pan and let the chicken nuggets touch while cooking. You will need to cook these in a couple of batches. Drain chicken nuggets on a wire rack.