Who doesn’t love Chili’s skillet queso? We all do. Chilis is known for this famous queso appetizer. You can make this recipe at home, it’s so easy to do, and I will show you how to do it in a slow cooker.
The Best Chilis appetizer made at home
Chilis Skillet Queso has to be a favorite appetizer at Chilis restaurant. This recipe has been a menu item for over 20 years. Why not recreate this famous recipe at home?
This is a nice change from your standard queso recipe. When you make this recipe in a slow cooker you have the ability to start this dip and let it melt and cook together. This means you are free to work on other things.
An Easy Party Dip
How to make chilis skillet queso in the slow cooker
I love simple dips like this, easy to put together, and this chili cheese dip will make your crowd happy. You can put the ingredients in the slow cooker, move on and get the rest of your party or evening together.
What’s in chilis Skillet Queso
This recipe uses just three ingredients.
- Cheese – You will want to use processed cheese, like Velveeta, I honestly think for this recipe a store brand works well too, and this way you can save some money and still make a great tasting dip.
- Half and Half – If you use heavy cream instead of half and half it will come out tasting different and even creamier. Stick with the half and half.
- Hormel Chili – Their chili doesn’t have to beans in it, and if you want to duplicate this recipe, you don’t want to put beans in yours either. I don’t know why, but this brand of chili always seems to go on sale right before the Super Bowl, so I like to pick up a few extra cans so I can prepare this special Chilis Skillet Queso any time of the year for less.
Add some lime juice
If you want a little extra fresh kick, throw in some lime juice. It elevates the flavor in an incredible way.
Does chilis skillet queso have beans?
No, the popular appetizer doesn’t have any beans in it. It’s just a cheesy sauce with ground beef and spices.
What to do with leftover queso
This is such a popular dip, I bet there isn’t any leftover. But if there is, store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will stay good for about a week. Then, you can use it and reuse it on these other food or snack ideas:
- Baked potato topping
- Toss it on top of noodles for a southwest pasta dinner
- Add more ground beef and turn it into a southwest sloppy joe
More Copycat Chilis Recipes
If you are planning a party and need more amazing appetizers, put these on your list.
- Chilis Salsa
- Chilis Original Chili
- Chilis Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Try your hand at homemade Velveeta cheese
- Best Ever Easy White Queso Recipe
Chilis Skillet Queso Slow Cooker
- 16 ounces American cheese
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 can Hormel Chili No Beans
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and heat on low. This should take about 1 hour to heat through.