Starbucks Iced Matcha Latte is a creamy and delicious green tea drink. There’s no need to go to Starbucks when you can make this tasty beverage at home.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Makes This Starbucks Iced Matcha Latte One of the Best Iced Green Tea Lattes?
Sometimes you just don’t feel like having an iced coffee, and regular iced tea seems just a bit too boring. What you need is something that is deliciously different, like a Matcha Iced Latte from Starbucks.
This intriguing drink blends ice-cold milk with real matcha green tea and a touch of vanilla to create a smooth drink far beyond the ordinary.
Why You Should Try This Recipe
This Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte is so simple to throw together with only a few ingredients but tastes surprisingly complex. The vanilla extract helps to smooth out the rougher edges of the green tea and adds a depth of flavor that is missing in other online iced green tea latte recipes.
Impress guests and, more importantly, yourself with this lovely little delight.
Starbucks Iced Matcha Latte Ingredients
For this iced matcha green tea latte recipe, you’ll need:
- Matcha powder
- Simple syrup
- Vanilla extract
For simple syrup, you’ll need:
- White sugar
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
This Starbucks iced matcha latte recipe tastes best with dairy milk, but you can try experimenting with soy milk or another non-dairy substitute. Almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, or oat milk are all great plant-based milks to use for this iced latte.
Starbucks uses 2% milk but you can use skim milk for a lighter latte or whole milk for a creamier latte.
Matcha is a fine green tea powder with a vibrant green color that’s famously used for tea ceremonies in Japan. Depending on the quality, you can find grades of matcha costing anywhere from a few dollars to hundreds. For this recipe, go with a lower-priced regular matcha powder since the tea you use won’t significantly affect the flavor. You do not need to use ceremony grade matcha.
You may prefer using a Matcha Green Latte Mix for simplicity. Most of these mixes contain only matcha and sugar, but others also add powdered milk. You don’t want a mix with any dairy, so read the label before buying. While Matcha Latte mixes may be the cheapest and most available option, the tea is usually the lowest quality, and the drinks they make tend to be overly sweet.
How To Make Matcha Iced Latte
To prepare the simple syrup:
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Heat the saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir until all the sugar dissolves completely in the hot water.
- Cool to room temperature and transfer to a container with a lid. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
To assemble an Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte:
- In a tall glass or mixing bowl with a spout, combine milk and matcha powder.
- Stir or whisk well until there are no lumps and the matcha powder is fully dissolved. If the matcha powder doesn’t dissolve completely, warm the milk for 15 seconds in the microwave. Alternatively, you can blend it in a blender.
- Stir vanilla extract into the matcha mixture. Taste for sweetness before adding any simple syrup. Depending on which matcha powder you use and your personal preferences, you may need more or less than the recipe calls for.
- Pour the Matcha Green Tea Latte over ice and serve.
What To Serve With Iced Green Tea Latte
Try adding a dollop of whipped cream on top as a garnish. Chocolate pairs wonderfully with green tea, so a small slice of Chocolate Pudding Pie or a few Chocolate Crinkle Cookies would make a fabulous snack.
Feel free to add a few new flavorings to this iced matcha tea latte. You may want to try the following:
- Use a flavored matcha tea. Skip the vanilla extract and choose a fruit-flavored matcha powder instead.
- Replace the regular simple syrup with flavored syrup. The White Chocolate Mocha syrup from Jordan’s Skinny Syrups is a decadent yet sugar-free option that goes well in this drink.
- Instead of vanilla extract and simple syrup use Starbucks vanilla syrup.
- Opt for a natural sweetener like maple syrup or honey instead of sugar.
Does Iced Matcha Latte Have Caffeine?
The amount of caffeine in an iced matcha latte depends on the matcha powder used and the size of the drink. You will need to look at the package for the caffeine information. Starbucks iced matcha latte caffeine is 55mg in a Tall, 80mg in a Grande, and 110mg in a Venti.
Favorite Starbucks Iced Drinks
- Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato
- Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Iced Caramel Macchiato
- Iced Passion Tango Tea Lemonade
- Iced Vanilla Latte
- Iced White Mocha
- Pink Drink
- Vanilla Cream Cold Brew
- Violet Drink
Take a look at the Starbucks Refreshers Drinks.
Popular Fast Food Iced Drinks
Starbucks Iced Matcha Latte
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk or milk of your choice
- 1½ teaspoons matcha powder
- 2 teaspoons simple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and water in a small bowl and mix well. Microwave for 30 seconds or until the mixture is fully combined and no sugar is visible.
- Allow simple syrup to come to room temperature before using.
- In a large cup or a medium-sized pitcher, combine milk, matcha powder, simple syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix well using a large spoon until the powder is fully combined. This will turn the beverage a light green color.
- Pour the mixture into a glass filled with ice.