Gallagher’s Cheddar cheese soup is a fantastic soup, don’t miss this soup, it is easy, and will warm the heart. In about 20 minutes you can have the best bowl of cheesy soup you will ever try!
Sometimes there is nothing better than a bowl of soup! This recipe is perfect for when you have a hankering for condensed cheddar cheese soup, but this homemade version tastes so much better.
Make Gallagher’s Cheddar Cheese Soup
This Cheddar cheese soup recipe is very easy to make. The soup is flavored with a broth made with fresh carrots, fresh celery, and fresh green onions. The soup is thickened in a simple roux.
Instead of adding shredded Cheddar cheese, we are adding a jar of pasteurized cheese spread. The cheese spread melts better and more dependable than cheese you will spread. You can top the soup with shredded cheese when you are ready to serve.
Helpful soup tips
If you want the soup to be extra thick you can add an additional 1/4 cup of flour to this recipe. It is best to enjoy this soup during one sitting. If you want to reheat the soup, I would recommend using half and half or heavy cream instead of milk.
Don’t forget to garnish the soup!
You can garnish this soup with a variety of toppings. This soup is rich and flavorful and it is a perfect soup to garnish with a variety of toppings. You can garnish the soup with popcorn, rye chips, shredded Cheddar cheese, or
Gallagher’s Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces Pasteurized process cheese spread
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Prepared mustard
- Place water in soup pot over high heat. Add carrots, celery and green onions; bring to boil for 5 minutes; set aside, but do not drain.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat and add onion; saute 1 minute, then add flour, blending well.
- In a large saucepan, bring milk and broth to boil. Whisk broth mixture into flour mixture with a wire whisk.
- Stir in cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in mustard and the cooked vegetables, including the water in which they were cooked. Bring to a boil and serve immediately.
- I would really recommend serving this soup with a glass of white wine. A refreshing riesling would be perfect.
- Fresh hot bread like my light and airy popovers would also be perfect.
Love cheesy recipes? Try these great cheesy recipes.
Boursin Cheese – this cheese spread goes well with everything.
Crockpot Chicken with Black beans in Cream Cheese Sauce
This was wonderful! We loved it! Thanks for posting this one!