Instant Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese is creamy, comforting, and made in a few minutes. Parmesan adds extra cheesy flavor and cream cheese makes it deliciously creamy. Chicken broth gives it richness. It’s a must-make side dish for dinner!
Table of Contents
White Cheddar Mac and Cheese Instant Pot Recipe
This creamy Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe will become your family’s favorite comfort food. And, you can make it very easily in your Instant Pot and have homemade macaroni and cheese on the table in about twelve minutes.
Cooking with an Instant Pot is very easy and time-saving. It does away with many of the in-between steps when making simple recipes like this Instant Pot mac and cheese with cream cheese. The macaroni cooks in just enough liquid, so there’s no need to babysit the pasta or even drain it.
This is one of my favorite Instant Pot pasta recipes and it just may become yours too!
How to Make the Best Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Using chicken broth as part of your cooking liquid gives you the best flavor. If you are concerned about salt, go for low sodium chicken broth. If you don’t go with low sodium, you may want to leave out adding extra salt – eaters can always salt to their preferences.
- A combination of cheeses will give you the best taste. This Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe uses a mixture of mild white cheddar, parmesan, mozzarella, and cream cheese. When you add the cheeses, make sure to stir continuously so that it all melts in really well and you aren’t left with any clumps.
- Other cheeses that melt well into mac and cheese are fontina, gouda, gruyere, havarti, monterey jack, and provolone.
- You will get a super creamy Instant Pot mac and cheese by using heavy cream.
- If you want, you could add extra seasonings such as Cajun or ranch seasoning for a different twist.
How to Serve Mac and Cheese
This Instant Pot mac and cheese with cream cheese works well as a main dish with a side salad for dinner. Also, provide some crusty bread so not a lick of sauce gets left behind! Your kids can take a thermos full to school for lunch. If there’s any leftover, you can use it as a side dish later in the week. Here are some ideas to change up this macaroni and cheese recipe:
- Protein – Add in some shredded chicken, pulled pork, crispy bacon, or sausage.
- Veggies – Stir in some steamed broccoli or cauliflower. This is a good way to disguise veggies, so your kids will eat them.
- Toppings – Transfer your cooked cheesy and creamy mac to a baking dish and top with some additional cheese, buttered and crushed Ritz crackers, or buttered panko breadcrumbs. Broil for a few minutes until the topping is crispy.
How to Store Mac and Cheese
You can keep your cooked macaroni and cheese in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Let it cool, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes beforehand. You can safely freeze mac and cheese for about two months. Spoon it into freezer bags in meal-sized portions.
How to Reheat Mac and Cheese
When you have mac and cheese leftovers, the starches in the pasta will suck up some of the moisture in the dish. The longer your mac and cheese sits, the dryer it will become.
When you reheat mac and cheese, it’s a good idea to add a splash of milk or cream (about 1 tbs per cup of mac and cheese) before popping it in the microwave. Give is a good stir halfway through the reheating process.
Instant Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- White cheddar cheese block (not pre-shredded)
- Parmesan cheese block (not pre-shredded)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Dry macaroni pasta
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Ground black pepper
How to Make White Cheddar Mac and Cheese in an Instant Pot
- Grate the cheddar and parmesan cheese.
- Place the macaroni into the Instant pot container.
- Pour the chicken broth and water into the instant pot container. Do not stir.
- Add salt.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- After cooking is complete, do a quick release and immediately open the lid.
- Turn the instant pot on low sauté mode for 1 minute.
- Add the cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, butter, and black pepper.
- Stir until all ingredients are incorporated and the cheeses have melted.
- Serve immediately.
Love mac and cheese? Try these copycat recipes!
- Boston Market Mac and Cheese
- Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese
- Lubys Mac and Cheese
- Martha Stewart Mac and Cheese
- Panera Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Mac and Cheese
- Stouffers Mac and Cheese
- Sweetie Pies Mac and Cheese
Favorite Instant Pot Recipes
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Parmesan Risotto
Instant Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- 3 1/2 cups dry macaroni pasta
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups mild white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Grate the cheddar and parmesan cheeses and set aside. (It's better to grate these cheeses fresh as store-bought pre-grated cheese is coated in either cornflour or cellulose, which will make your mac and cheese thick and gloopy.)
- Pour the macaroni pasta into the Instant Pot.Add the chicken broth and water (do not stir as this will also make your macand cheese gloopy and thick due to starches being released).
- Spoon in the required amount of salt.
- Close the lid and set the instant pot to pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, do a quick-release on the Instant Pot and immediately open the lid (or it will continue cooking).
- Turn the Instant Pot on low, sauté mode for 1 minute and add all of the cheeses, heavy cream, butter, and black pepper. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.