Martha Stewart macaroni and cheese is unique and tasty. The use of white cheddar and Gruyere cheese makes it very rich. Buttery bread crumbs are a perfect topping for this mac and cheese.
Martha Stewart MaC and Cheese
So creamy, so rich, and so flavorful!
A three-cheese sauce is flavored perfectly with nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Then macaroni is tossed with the sauce, topped with buttered bread crumbs, and baked to perfection.
Mac and cheese ramekins are great for serving and they can easily be stored and reheated later.
Serve Martha Stewart Mac and Cheese with
- Roasted Beef
- Copycat Honey Baked Ham
- Chick Fil A Copycat Chicken Nuggets
- Roasted Ribeye
- Fried Chicken with Potato Flakes
- Kentucky Fried Chicken Copycat
- Shake n Bake Pork Chop
- Pork Tenderloin Diane
- Mustard Pork Chops Baked
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin Apple
Vegetables to Serve with mac and cheese
Find the best restaurant side dishes and comfort food recipes.
Martha Stewart Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces unsalted butter plus a little more
- 6 white bread crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese about 18 ounces
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese about 8 ounces
- 5 ounces Grated Pecorino Romano or Gruyere cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Heat oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss.
- Set breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (
- Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.
I brought this to a family reunion, everyone loved it!
I love Macaroni and Cheese and so does my husband. I have a family friend that makes it for every holiday. I gave her this recipe and they love it!