Love Shake ‘N’ Bake? You can make this easy homemade Shake and Bake Pork Chops with ingredients you already have in your pantry.
It’s so easy to make homemade Shake ‘N’ Bake from scratch with this copycat recipe. If you have pork chops or chicken on hand, and some dried breadcrumbs you already have almost everything you need to make homemade Shake ‘N’ Bake.
Why Make Homemade Shake and Bake for Pork Chops?
Controlling preservatives and artificial ingredients is important to so many people. Why not easily knock out extra ingredients that you don’t need to prepare your dinner for your family? You can also add more or less of your favorite herbs and spices to your favorite pork chops.
You may want to control the amount of salt in your food and making a homemade mix is a perfect way to do this. You can make delicious homemade Shake and Bake at home.
Preparing copycat Shake ‘N’ Bake
When preparing the homemade breading, I find the largest difference between breadcrumbs from a can, and the mix from Shake ‘N’ Bake is that the packaged mix has finer ground breadcrumbs. If you want a more exact mix, I suggest you mix the breading in a food processor to emulate the packaged mix.
But mixing everything in a bowl will work just fine. You may even want to make breadcrumbs by hand before preparing this recipe.
What type of pork chops can you use?
You can use a variety of different type of pork chops for this recipe. I personally like to grab a variety pack of bone-in pork chops. They are less expensive than bone-in pork chops and some people feel like bone-in pork chops taste even better. You can use:
- Shoulder chops
- Rib chops
- Loin chops
- Sirloin chops
- Boneless chops
How do you make shake and bake pork chops not soggy
Oven-fried pork chops need to be cooked at a higher temperature, 425 degrees is recommended. I like to use pork chops that are bone-in for better flavor, but pork loin chops will also work just fine. I like to use chops that are about 3/8-inch, if your pork chops are thicker, or thinner, you will need to adjust the time.
It is important if the chops are thicker, that you reduce the temperature to around 400 and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer. It is important to check and make sure pork is cooked to 145-155 degrees. Be sure to let the meat rest for a few minutes before serving. This way the juices will redistribute, and you will have juicy pork chops everyone will love!
Ingredients for Homemade Shake and Bake Pork Chops
It’s very easy to make your own homemade Shake and Bake, save money, and use ingredients you already have on hand. You will need:
- Bread crumbs
- Ground black pepper
- Celery salt
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Pork chops
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Shake n Bake Pork Chops
- Place plain bread crumbs, salt, black pepper, paprika, celery salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Seal the bag and shake gently to mix all ingredients.
- Place vegetable oil on a baking sheet and spread out in a thin layer.
- Place one pork chop at a time into the bag, seal the bag, and shake.
- Place the coated pork chop onto the oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pork chops.
- If desired, if there is mix still left over, you can gently sprinkle it onto the breaded pork chops, and pat the seasoned mix into the pork chop. Discard seasoning mix after use. Be sure to place these delicious pork chops in a single layer onto the baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then flip over the pork chop and cook for 10 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
Breadcrumbs need some sort of glue to help stick to the meat. In this recipe, we used oil, but other recipes may suggest milk or even an egg wash.
Pork is bred to be leaner, so you need not overcook the pork chop, and you may want to use a thicker pork chop to make sure it isn’t dry. Some people also like to brine their pork chops to make sure they are juicy. You can make a simple brine using 4 cups of water, and 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup salt. Simply soak the pork chops for a couple of hours in the brine before using.
Shake and Bake does use breadcrumbs, but it also has extra seasonings. The extra seasonings makes this so delicious!
Yes, you can make the seasoned breadcrumb mixture ahead of time. Store the mix in an airtight container for up to two weeks before preparing the recipe.
Love pork chops? Check out these great recipes
Best Copycat Product Recipes
- Bisquick Copycat
- Homemade Chocolate Syrup
- Homemade Condensed Milk
- Homemade Brownie Mix Recipe
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese
- How to Make Cream Cheese
- Copycat Taco Seasoning
- Freezer Biscuits
Homemade Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- 3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds pork chops
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a gallon-sized zip top bag, place breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, paprika, celery salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Seal the bag and shake gently to mix all ingredients.
- Place vegetable oil on a baking sheet. Spread out in a thin layer.
- Place one pork chop at a time into the bag, seal the bag, and shake. Place the coated pork chop onto the oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pork chops.
- If desired, if there is mix still left over, you can gently sprinkle it onto the breaded pork chops, and pat the seasoned mix into the pork chop. Discard seasoning mix after use.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip over the pork chop. and cook for the remaining 10 minutes.