Mustard is so overlooked, you can make this mustard cream sauce in just a few minutes. This sauce goes well on pork, chicken, steak, and asparagus. Everyone will wonder where you got your secret recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Creamy Mustard Sauce
This mustard cream sauce recipe is easy to make and goes well with both meat and vegetables. Creamy mustard sauce is one of those simple homemade sauces that can transform something basic, like chicken breast, into an elegant entrée that will impress your dinner guests.
When it comes to sauces, mustard is so overlooked, which is a pity because it makes a wonderful accompaniment to so many different foods. Think of mustard cream sauce for chicken, mustard cream sauce for pork, mustard cream sauce for steak, mustard cream sauce for salmon, and mustard cream sauce for vegetables.
The mellow flavor of heavy cream perfectly counteracts the Dijon mustard’s sharpness.
Why You Should Try This Mustard Sauce Recipe
This Dijon mustard cream sauce recipe is the perfect way to make a weeknight meal a bit more lively or to add a bit of decadence to an indulgent weekend feast. This sauce is ideally suited for drizzling over chicken, beef, salmon, vegetables, and more.
Moreover, you can make this sauce in just a few minutes, and everyone will wonder where you found this delicious mustard cream sauce recipe.
Tasty sauces are an important part of any cook’s arsenal, and this sauce recipe should be in yours. Why? This creamy sauce can take a dish from nice to that’s amazing! It’s so tasty, you’ll find yourself spooning it over everything!
This Dijon mustard sauce may turn out to be one of those things you never knew were missing in your life until you tried it. It’s so good that now you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it!
Ingredients You Will Need
This is what you will need to make this creamy mustard sauce recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Heavy cream
- White vinegar
- Dry mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Dijon Mustard Cream Sauce
This sauce is very easy to make. Here’s what you do:
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat and stir in the flour.
- Add the milk and, constantly stirring, cook over high heat until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, vinegar, mustards, parsley, salt, and a few grindings of black pepper.
This mustard cream sauce recipe makes a rather mild sauce. To increase the flavor, add a little more of either the dry mustard or Dijon mustard.
This is a versatile sauce that can be adapted in many ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Sour cream mustard sauce: Make it with sour cream instead of heavy cream.
- Whole grain mustard cream sauce: Use whole grain Dijon mustard.
- Mustard dill cream sauce: Add a tablespoon of finely chopped dill.
- Honey mustard cream sauce: Add a tablespoon of honey for a touch of sweetness.
- Mustard and brandy cream sauce: Add a little brandy for a beautiful depth of flavor. If you don’t have brandy, cognac is a good substitute. A sauce like this can effortlessly elevate a home-cooked meal to a restaurant-quality feast!
- Mustard and horseradish cream sauce: Give your sauce a little more kick with a tablespoon of horseradish. Perfect if you are serving beef.
- Gluten-free mustard cream sauce: You can make this sauce recipe gluten-free by opting for gluten-free flour. Note that, although mustard is generally gluten-free, you should check the ingredients. Malt vinegar, for instance, is made from barley, which contains gluten.
How to Serve Mustard Sauce
This creamy Dijon mustard sauce recipe makes so many things taste better. Here are some ideas:
- Mustard cream sauce for chicken: Creamy mustard is the perfect sauce for baked chicken.
- Mustard cream sauce for pork: Perfect for pork chops, pork tenderloin, etc.
- Mustard cream sauce for steak: Flavorsome enough to go with cuts of beef like filet mignon, tenderloin, and smoked steak.
- Mustard cream sauce for salmon: This sauce is terrific over salmon.
- Mustard cream sauce for vegetables: Delicious over all kinds of veggies. Also, serve it cold as a creamy salad dressing or warm over fresh green vegetables like spinach or cabbage.
- Mustard cream dipping sauce: This sauce is also fantastic as a mustard dipping sauce – try it with chicken nuggets or zucchini chips!
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerator: This Dijon mustard cream sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Allow it to cool, then place it in an airtight jar. Heat gently before serving.
Freezer: You can freeze Dijon mustard sauce for up to 6 months in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Reheating from frozen: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place the sauce in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat and gently whisk for 10 to 15 minutes.
The thawing process can slightly change the consistency of the sauce, so when reheating, you may need to add a little more cream to reconstitute.
Favorite Sauce Recipes
- Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- Campfire Sauce
- Chick Fil A Sauce
- Garlic Pizza Sauce
- Hibachi Mustard Sauce
- Hooters Wing Sauce
- Katsu Sauce
- Raising Canes Sauce
- Red Clam Sauce
- Smash Burger Sauce
Quick and Easy Recipes
Mustard Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add the milk and cook over high heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Beat in the cream, vinegar, dry mustard, Dijon mustard, dried parsley, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Serve immediately.