This Stouffers Macaroni and Cheese is classic comfort food we all love. This oven-baked macaroni and cheese is baked in a rich and creamy sauce.
Stouffer’s Macaroni & Cheese has always been a delicious family favorite of mine. I have long wanted to put together a recipe for this classic dish just for you. What’s more, this copycat Stouffer’s Mac & Cheese recipe is made entirely from scratch. Although Stouffer’s claims to use all-natural ingredients, this copycat recipe will please all those who want to enjoy their favorite store-bought dishes, but also cut out preservatives and any ingredient with a chemical-sounding name.
Because this recipe uses a couple of types of cheese, it has a wonderful rich cheesy taste. With two different kinds of cheese, you get a flavor with more depth. A touch of mustard powder and paprika adds a little more interest. This casserole is made in a pan on the stovetop and then gets baked in the oven. This gives you those nice browned bits on top.
While I normally use elbow pasta for this recipe, you could use other shapes of pasta if you desire. Sometimes I like to vary things by using shells, wheel-shaped pasta, or another type of pasta. So, feel free to substitute whatever you have around in your kitchen.
Can You Freeze Mac and Cheese?
The short answer is… yes! Like other cheesy pasta casseroles such as lasagna, mac and cheese freezes well. You might want to freeze some in separate small containers for easy lunch reheating. Don’t bother buying frozen products because, once in your freezer, this homemade classic mac and cheese recipe will be the best-frozen mac and cheese ever.
If you want a recipe with four different types of cheese for an even more special treat, try my Longhorn Steakhouse Macaroni and Cheese.
Try Stouffer’s Mac & Cheese made from scratch
This creamy and cheesy classic mac and cheese is pure comfort food made easily from scratch in about thirty minutes. Mac and cheese doesn’t get any better than this! Serve it up with a salad or a green vegetable, and you’ve got dinner.
This is what you need to make the mac and cheese:
- Elbow Pasta
- Colby Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Dry Mustard Powder
While we normally use elbow pasta for this recipe, you could use other shapes of pasta if you desire. Sometimes I like to use shells, wheel-shaped pasta, or another type of pasta.
How to Make Copycat Stouffers Macaroni and Cheese
Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
Melt butter in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Slowly add a third of the milk while stirring. Continue to stir until the mixture has thickened.
Slowly add another third of the milk while stirring. Repeat with the remaining third of the milk.
Slowly add shredded cheese to the milk mixture.
Stir until cheese is completely melted.
Add dry mustard and paprika. Stir to combine.
Stir cooked pasta into the sauce.
Transfer pasta mixture to a baking dish.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve and enjoy!
Love Macaroni and Cheese? Try these Recipes
- Lubys Mac and Cheese
- Sweetie Pies Mac N Cheese
- Spicy Macaroni and Cheese
- Martha Stewart 3 Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Horn and Hardart Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Panera Bread Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Chick Fil A Mac & Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Boston Market Mac and Cheese
- Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese
Main Dishes for Mac and Cheese
Stouffers Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 8 ounces elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Colby cheese
- 8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil 8 ounces of elbow pasta according to package directions. In a medium-size pot over medium heat add butter and flour. Stir continuously while for about 1 minute. The flour paste should become fragrant. Slowly add milk in thirds and stir until it has thickened before adding the next portion of milk. Shred cheese and slowly add the cheese to the milk mixture.
- Make sure all cheese melts completely before adding the next portion of cheese. Add dry mustard powder and paprika and stir well. Drain pasta. Stir pasta into cheese sauce. Place pasta into a large 2 quart baking dish. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. If desired turn oven to broil, and allow the casserole to brown a moment or two before serving.