Also known as Hot Poppers or Jalapeno Poppers, these Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers are a popular appetizer at many places. You may want to serve these with some ranch dressing. They are so tasty!
Image by Teresa Levite from Shutterstock Photography.
Love Jalapeno Peppers? Try these recipes
- Jalapeno popper grilled cheese
- Quick and Easy Candied Jalapenos
- Chuys Creamy Jalapeno Dip
- Wonton Jalapeno Poppers
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- 24 jalapeno peppers medium size
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Wearing plastic gloves, cut the stem end off peppers with a paring knife. Carefully remove seeds and white membrane.
- Stuff peppers with cheese.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 375 degrees.
- Place eggs in a small bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs in a shallow pan.
- Drop 4 peppers in eggs and toss to coat.
- Using a fork, lift 1 pepper at a time out of the eggs, shaking off excess.
- Drop the egg-coated pepper into the breadcrumbs and toss to coat
- Place breaded pepper on a sheet pan.
- Repeat with remaining peppers.
- When all peppers are coated, let them sit to dry for 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, place peppers, a few at a time, into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden.
- Transfer fried poppers to a platter lined with paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with remaining peppers.
- Serve immediately.
I’ll be making these on Saturday. As I am dieting by Keto I’ll replace bread crumbs with pork rinds crumbs. Looking so forward to eating them.
I made these followed exactly but the breading fried right off not sure what I did wrong
Based upon what you said, the breading may have been too thin, or the oil was too high. Sometimes thermometers don’t read the right temperature. I am very sorry you had a bad experience.
Can you make these in an air fryer?
I don’t think these will brown in an air fryer. They will cook, but the breading will remain dry and light brown in an air fryer.
How do you prevent cheese from running out of peppers during cooking?
I try to start with everything very very cold.
Thanks for sharing the stuffed chili recipe, I will definitely learn to do it
Mrs lol Bird on hubby address
For me the cheddar is the only way to go! I am making these tonight. 😀 I love your recipes
These are amazing filled with cream cheese!! 😀
I tend to think that jalapeno poppers are terrific no matter how you fill them.
Just realized this thread is 10 years old… Totally pointless for me to of typed all that haha.
Ehh I think you’ve fallen into trends Chelsea.. cream cheese is the cheap filling store bought frozen poppers have, and cream cheese has no real flavor! Other then on a bagel, cream cheese is truly trash, the spread equivalent to American cheese. Now, to your credit, what this recipe is SEVERELY missing is a tiny bit of cream cheese, literally 5-10% of the filling max. The point of cream cheese in poppers is supposed to make the cheddar a better consistency, that’s absolutely it. NEVER fill them only with dream cheese unless you want very bored guests, lol. Even sonic, the worst of fast food knows this. While their whole menu is trash, the jalapeno poppers stand out, and that’s because the recipe has 5% cream cheese and the rest cheddar. Anyway, this recipe is great, but a tiny smidge of cream cheese with mostly cheddar/Colby is the best way to enjoy this recipe 👍
These were really easy to make and everyone loved them!
I could eat these until I burst.