Add some sugar and spice to your black beans to create this Chili’s Black Beans copycat recipe. Vegan black beans are the perfect source of protein for vegetarians and for those enjoying a plant-based diet.
Canned vs. Dried black beans
Canned black beans have made it so easy to enjoy these protein-packed beans. Even this recipe calls for two cans of black beans. But some enjoy the process of cooking black beans from a dried state. Black beans don’t necessarily need to be pre-soaked but it will speed up the cook time.
Here are some tips for cooking dried black beans
- Rinse the beans well in cold, running water
- Soak the beans overnight before cooking. This process will speed up the cooking time but also make them easier to digest.
- Bring the beans to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes and remove from the heat.
- If you do NOT pre-soak the black beans, put in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour – 1 hour 45 minutes or until the beans are tender.
Chili’s Black Beans
Vegan Black Beans can be enjoyed as a meal or a side dish. I also found when leftover these make great bean burritos, or you can even toss the extra with some cooked rice.
Here’s what you need
- 2 cans Black Beans
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
Place the beans and sugar, chili powder & garlic powder in a saucepan and let simmer for 30-35 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.
How do you like to eat black beans? Let us know in the comments below. And make sure you follow us on Instagram and Facebook to see all of our copycat recipes!
Chili's Black Beans
- 31 ounces black beans 2 cans
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the black beans, sugar, chili powder and garlic powder in a saucepan and mix through. Let simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place in a bowl or serve with your favorite meat or seafood.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- Allow more time if you are using dry black beans. See the instructions above.
- Serve the black beans by itself with some tortilla chips. Or with some chicken, rice and pico de gallo. Place beans on the bottom of the plate. They should cover the middle of the plate. Place Chicken Breast in the middle, your serving of rice on the side, a generous helping of pico de gallo. and sprinkle with a tablespoon of crushed tortilla chips.