Mini Corn Dogs are great for kids of all ages! Hot dogs dipped in a sweet cornmeal batter and deep-fried are simply irresistible. It’s family-friendly recipe kids are sure to enjoy.
Mini Corn Dogs and Corn Dog Batter Recipe
My favorite childhood food is mini corn dogs! They are extremely tasty and very easy to make. They make the perfect snack or appetizer.
Why are these Mini Corn Dogs so amazing?
While this recipe might be extremely easy, it is still homemade. The corn dog breading for this recipe creates the perfect crisp outside with a nice fluffy inside which is the perfect texture for the best corn dog.
What do corn dogs taste like?
Corn dogs are hot dogs that are fried with a corn dog batter. So if you have ever had a hot dog, imagine that but add a sweet and fluffy coating on top.
The sweetness comes from the cornmeal and there is a wonderful crispy outside from frying the mini corn dog, which adds even more flavor to this delicious corn dog recipe. It tastes like heaven!
Mini Corn Dogs Recipe Ingredients
You will notice that you may already have most of what you need to make the corn dog batter recipe.
Here are the ingredients used in the mini corn dogs recipe:
- Yellow cornmeal
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Hot dogs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to Prepare Corn Dog Batter
The key to making the perfect corn dog is following the directions when making the corn dog batter.
Begin by combining all of the dry ingredients.
Then mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. By doing this, you can make sure the batter is evenly mixed and will fry well.
Then add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix it.
How to Make Mini Corn Dogs from Scratch
Here are the steps for making the complete recipe:
- Pour enough oil in a medium-sized pot to be 4 inches deep.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Whisk milk and egg together in a small bowl.
- Add the milk mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir until well blended.
- Cut the hot dogs into thirds.
- Blot hot dogs with paper towels until dry.
- Dip hot dogs into the batter to coat the hot dogs then shake to remove excess batter.
- Carefully place dipped hot dogs into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite condiments.
How to Cook Mini Corn Dogs in Air Fryer
You will make the batter the same but instead of frying the corn dogs in oil, you will use the air fryer.
Here are the steps and how to make mini corn dogs in an air fryer:
- Make the batter (see details above or in the recipe card).
- Put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the air fryer basket and place the dipped pieces of hot dog on it.
- Then set the air fryer to 375 and set the timer for 8 minutes.
- Half way through, open up the air fryer and flip the mini corn dogs.
- When there is 2 minutes left, check the corn dogs each minute to check for doneness.
What goes good with mini corn dogs?
While you can totally eat these delicious little corn dogs by themselves, here are a few options for what to serve with them:
How to Store and Reheat Mini Corn Dogs
The mini corn dogs will last in the fridge for about 5 days when stored in an airtight container.
When you want to eat them again you can either use the air fryer to reheat them by placing them back in the air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes at 375 degrees.
If you don’t have an air fryer, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake them for 5 to 7 minutes or until they are heated all the way through.
Or if you are looking for a quick way to reheat them, you can pop them in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. However, using the microwave will make them a little soggy.
If you would like to freeze corn dogs, once they have cooled down, place them in a freezer-safe zip-top bag and put them in the freezer.
They will last for up to 3 months frozen!
Love hot dogs? Try these recipes!
Favorite Appetizer and Game Day Recipes
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Chipped Beef Cheese Ball
- Cowboy Candy
- Crescent Roll Taco Ring
- Crescent Roll Veggie Pizza
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Rotel Dip
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Seafood Dip
Check out more of my easy appetizer recipes and the best game day recipes here on CopyKat!
Mini Corn Dogs
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces hot dogs
- vegetable oil for frying
- Fill a medium-sized pot with enough oil to cover the bottom 4 inches of the pot in oil.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir until well blended.
- Cut hot dogs into thirds.
- Blot hot dogs with paper towels until they are dry.
- Dip hot dogs into the cornmeal mixture to coat the hot dogs with batter then shake to remove excess batter.
- Carefully drop the dipped hot dogs into the hot oil.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite condiments.
I wonder if these can be made in an air fryer.
After you dip the corn dogs I would roll them in panko breadcrumbs and then cook them in the air fryer for about 8 minutes at 375 degrees, then I would flip them over and cook them for about 4 minutes longer.
Made these again for the family they just love them thanks for so many recipes how can I send a picture of them
Yummy, love me some corn dogs!