You can enjoy baked hot dogs in the oven. If you have never tried oven baked hot dogs, you are missing out on one of the easiest ways to prepare hot dogs.
There are so many different ways to prepare hot dogs. Have you ever thought about cooking hot dogs in the oven? Oven roasting hot dogs is one of the easiest ways to cook a whole package of hot dogs at once.
I like to use this recipe for when I have a large crowd ever. It’s easy, there isn’t a mess to clean up. You can toss these into the oven, and enjoy your party, your game night, or watch the game with everyone else. It’s perfect for when it’s too cold or to wet to grill outside.
What makes this recipe unique?
This recipe has the hot dogs baking in the oven in a delicious homemade savory barbecue sauce. As the hot dogs cook they soak up the flavor of the sauce.
You could serve these hot dogs with potato chips or coleslaw.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Black pepper
- Prepared mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot dogs
How to Cook Hot Dogs in the Oven
- Sauté onion in butter until onion is translucent.
- Add pepper, paprika, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boil.
- Cut 3-inch slits in each hot dog.
- Place hot dogs in a flat baking pan, slit side up.
- Pour sauce over the hot dogs.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven for 25 minutes.
- Baste hot dogs with sauce occasionally while they are baking.
- Place baked hot dogs and sauce in hot dog buns. Enjoy!
How can you change this recipe up? Here are a couple of suggestions:
Use different hot dogs or sausages. I have made this recipe with the full-sized smokies, as well as the hot dogs with cheese.
Use store-bought BBQ sauce. If you don’t have time to make a homemade barbecue sauce, you can use a bottle of your favorite sauce.
Tips for Cooking Hot Dogs in the Oven
- Cut slits into the hot dogs to increase the surface area, this way the hot dogs brown more.
- About half-way through cooking give the pan a shake to rotate the hot dogs, this way they brown on all sides.
- Line the baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
- Cook the hot dogs in a savory sauce for lots of flavor.
- This is a great way to cook up a lot of hot dogs at once.
Love hot dogs? Try these recipes!
- Hot Dog in Air Fryer
- Bourbon Hot Dogs
- Hot Dog Casserole
- Mac and Cheese Hot Dog
- Mini Corn Dogs
- Hot Dog Onion Sauce
Quick Dinner Recipes
- Smoked Sausage and Peppers
- Hamburger Green Bean Casserole
- Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Pork Chop and Rice
- Country Fried Steak
- Italian Sausage Spaghetti
What to do next? Before you try this recipe be sure to let me know what you like to serve on top of your hot dogs!
Hot dogs baked in the oven with barbecue sauce.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 12 hot dogs
- Saute onion in butter until translucent.
- Add black pepper, paprika, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boil.
- Cut 3-inch slits in each hot dog. Place hot dogs in a flat baking pan, slit side up. Pour sauce over hot dogs and bake in 350 degrees oven for 25 minutes. Occasionally baste hot dogs with sauce while they are baking.