Pasta Alla Vodka Sauce, and yes you can make it with penne pasta is your answer to a dinner that takes minutes to make. You can prepare this meal in the time that it takes to cook the pasta.
Maybe like you I work, and when I get home from work, I would love a home cooked meal, sometimes the thought of having to cook anything complicated or anything taking over about 20 minutes is more than I can handle. I love these types of dishes, minutes to prepare instead of reaching for the freezer and putting something in the microwave has low appeal for me. This recipe has few ingredients in it, and even if you are a beginner cook, you can prepare this dish.
Vodka sauce, while you might think was created where there was an Italian and a Russian that met up for dinner. This recipe has its origins in the 1980s according to Williams-Sonoma. It is said this dish was created to popularize Vodka in Italy. So if you don’t drink alcohol, this is one dish that I think you can substitute chicken stock or another type of stock, but it won’t be quite the same.
This recipe has tomatoes, onions, butter, a bit of cream, and of course vodka. I caution you to feed this to anyone that shouldn’t have alcohol because a lot of alcohol is retained. Please read this web page if you have concerns. Some people like to add a bit of bacon or even sausage to this sauce to make for a hearty meal.
Pasta Alla Vodka Sauce
- 4 teapoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 4 ounces prosciutto you can use bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes 1 can
- 14 ounces tomato sauce 1 can
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste - if desired to make thicker
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and onion to the pan. Saute garlic and onion to where the onion is almost translucent.
- Add in chopped prosciutto to the pan along with the crushed red pepper, and saute until the onions are translucent. When the onions are translucent add in chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes stirring from time to time. Add in cream and mix thoroughly. Add in vodka and cook for about an additional five minutes. To serve mix sauce and pasta together before serving, and garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if desired.
- To make the sauce thicker you can add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste if desired.