Creamy Alfredo Sauce is a slight variation on your traditional Alfredo sauce. How is this creamy Alfredo Sauce different? I add a variety of hard Italian cheeses and an egg yolk. The result is a creamy Alfredo sauce that tastes wonderful.
Alfredo Sauce is so easy to make, so you don’t need to wonder how to make Alfredo sauce. Whenever people ask me for an easy recipe, I always suggest Alfredo Sauce.
While it may not be the healthiest meal to have, it is great for low carb people, and it is good in moderation.
Table of Contents
Pasta for Alfredo Sauce
Do you ever wonder what pasta to use for Alfredo sauce? I know a lot of people like to make Alfredo sauce with fettuccine.
There are many other types of pasta shapes you can use for Alfredo sauce. Some favorites of mine are tortellini, rigatoni, and even pasta shells.
Pasta that has a lot of shapes and turns is great for Alfredo sauce because it picks up the extra sauce. Truth be told, I have even made this with spaghetti in a pinch.
Alfredo Sauce with Egg Yolk
You might wonder why we add the egg yolk into the sauce. It makes the sauce very rich and it helps to thicken the sauce. I thought this was an amazing addition to the classic sauce.
The egg yolk also helps give the sauce just a little bit of color. The sauce becomes a little more yellow with the addition. I think this a wonderful addition to this sauce.
Creamy Alfredo Sauce Cheese Tips
I have one more big tip when it comes to making homemade Alfredo sauce: GRATE YOUR CHEESE. Really, grate your cheese. Cheese that comes pre-grated has anti-caking agents in it.
Ever wonder why that cheese that you buy pre-shredded isn’t in a glob? It is due to anti-caking agents, usually cellulose or potato starch.
Those anti-caking agents will will give the sauce a different texture. It will not be as creamy as it is with using freshly grated cheese.
Please, don’t use the stuff in the can, I have a can in my pantry. I use it to thicken spaghetti sauce or to flavor meatloaf.
My preference is always cheese that you grate yourself. My grocery store sells in-store grated cheese and that’s ok to use. But please no packaged pre-grated cheese for this recipe.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Heavy cream
- Unsalted butter
- White pepper
- Grated Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago cheese mix
- Egg yolk
How to Make Creamy Alfredo Sauce
How you make this creamy Alfredo sauce, is pretty close to the standard way of making Alfredo sauce.
I like to make Alfredo sauce in a skillet. I think this helps to distribute the heat evenly through the sauce.
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add butter and cream into the skillet.
- Stir to blend together the melted butter and heavy cream.
- Add white pepper and nutmeg to the cream mixture.
- When the sauce just begins to bubble, add cheese and stir.
- Add an egg yolk and mix quickly.
- When the cheese has melted turn off the heat and serve immediately.
Please note this sauce does not reheat well.
Recipes with Alfredo Sauce
More Homemade Sauce Recipes
- Olive Garden Meat Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe for Canning
Popular Italian Recipes
Creamy Alfredo Sauce
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated cheese (I used a blend of Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 pound pasta cooked according to package directions
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add butter and cream into the skillet. Stir to blend together the melted butter and heavy cream.
- Add white pepper and nutmeg to the cream mixture. Stir to combine.
- When the sauce just begins to bubble, add cheese and stir in.
- Add 1 egg yolk and mix quickly.
- When the cheese has melted, turn off the heat and serve immediately with pasta.