Are you super busy? Have too many things to do and so little time? I have the perfect casserole for you. It is my Weeknight Ground Beef Casserole. You are going to love this simple and tasty recipe for ground beef.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Right now, the holidays are in full swing, and perhaps you find it hard to make dinner every night. Nothing says family like sitting down together for a meal prepared with your hands.
Sure, you can go out, but how about a casserole that tastes great the first evening, and reheats well if you want to take it to work, or enjoy it for another night? I have a solution for you. My Grandmother used to make a delicious casserole with ground beef, bacon, two types of cheese, and tomatoes. This casserole always tastes as good as a hug feels.
I don’t know what it is about this casserole, but it is simply macaroni you cook, add a pound of ground beef, chopped onion, and some bacon, and cheddar, and provolone cheese, and you have one delicious casserole.
For this ground beef casserole recipe, I used a couple of cans of Hunt’s canned tomatoes. I love the fresh flavor of Hunt’s canned diced tomatoes. You can find many different varieties of Hunt’s diced tomatoes come in all sorts of flavors, garlic, fire-roasted, spicy, and even tomatoes with green pepper, celery, and onion at Walmart. The variety of flavors these tomatoes come in make them perfect for recipes.
There is one thing about using canned tomatoes is that they are always in season! Hunt’s tomatoes are grown under the warm sun of Oakdale, California, and then they are peeled by steam, so there are no chemicals involved. You can feel good about using Hunt’s tomatoes.
I always keep a few cans of diced tomatoes on hand. If I need sauce, I can puree them in my blender to make the sauce. In this casserole, the tomatoes add a good fresh flavor and help to bind together the dish. If you want you can swap the pasta for gluten-free pasta, whole-wheat pasta, or even a low-carb pasta to make it fit your diet.
If you wanted to you can add in canned mushrooms, you could do this recipe with chicken if you desire, be creative, and you can whip together this casserole in no time.
Are you looking for more great ground beef recipe ideas? Check out these recipes
- Jiffy Mix Mexican Cornbread
- Ground Beef Chili Relleno Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole Recipes with Tater Tots
- Ground Beef Green Beans
- Tex Mex Taco Spaghetti Recipe
- Mexican Casserole with Tortillas
- Homemade Hamburger Stroganoff
- 7 Layer Casserole Recipe
- Country Pie
- Dishes with Ground Beef
More Budget Meal Ideas
Weeknight Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces macaroni
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 4 slices bacon
- 29 ounces Hunt's Diced Tomatoes (I love the garlic and the fire-roasted) 2 14.5 ounces cans
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Provolone cheese
- In a large skillet brown ground beef over medium heat. Season meat with salt and pepper while cooking. Be sure to crumble the beef into small pieces. When the beef is done, drain and set aside.
- Boil pasta according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, dice bacon. In the same skillet where you cooked the beef, add bacon and onions. Cook the bacon until it is fully done, and the onions are translucent. In your casserole dish combine pasta, two cans of diced tomatoes(do not drain the cans) , ground beef, onions, and bacon. Stir to combine. Top with casserole dish with both kinds of cheese.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven until the cheese is melted. You may want to brown the cheese by turning on your broiler function for a moment or two.