Pies are delicious ways to help save money. In this beef pie recipe, ground beef, tomato sauce, mushrooms, rice, cheese, and a few other ingredients help make a tasty and hearty dinner. This ground beef meat pie is home-cooking comfort food at its finest, which is also served in a fun and unique way!
This ground beef pie is both an old classic dish and unusual because the beef is the crust and the rice mixture is the filling. In other words, a savory rice pie with a hamburger crust.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes a Country Beef Pie the Perfect Weeknight Meal?
This beefy country pie gives you a great weeknight meal when you’ve had a long day at the office. Although it’s a pie, you don’t have to spend time making pastry.
It’s a really easy dish that’s quick to make. What’s more, you can make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven when you’re ready, making dinner a snap!
Why You Should Try This Beef Pie Recipe
This is a simple, toss-together pantry dish that everyone will love – guaranteed! This ground beef pie is so easy to make and so tasty your family will really enjoy it!
Ground beef meat pie is not only visually unique (beef makes the crust!) but also has great flavor and is a hit with kids. They’ll love hearing about how the pie crust is completely different from most pies!
Most of these items you will already have on hand.
For the beef crust:
- Ground beef
- Tomato sauce
- Canned mushrooms
- Green bell pepper
- Cracker crumbs
- Salt and pepper
For the rice pie filling:
- Minute rice
- Tomato sauce
- Cheddar cheese
How to Make This Beef Pie Recipe
This tasty beef and rice pie couldn’t be easier to make. Here are the simple steps:
- Place all the crust ingredients in a large bowl.
- Use a heavy spoon or your hands to combine them.
- Pat the combined crust ingredients into a pie plate.
- Place all the filling ingredients except some of the cheese in a bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour into the meat shell, cover, and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with more cheese, and bake for another 10 to15 minutes.
This meat and rice pie is very flexible, so here are some ideas for variations:
- Meat: Use pork for a ground pork pie or sausage for a ground sausage pie.
- Cheese: Swap the Cheddar for another kind of cheese that melts well – Colby, Gouda, Jack, Jarlsberg, Swiss.
- Veggies: Add some additional or different chopped vegetables – carrots, parsnips, green beans, cabbage.
What to Serve With This Ground Beef Pie
- This beef pie recipe is great with sour cream and some green onions on top.
- A delicious corn salsa also goes well.
- Serve with a side of veggies – green beans, peas and carrots, Brussel sprouts, and roasted cauliflower.
How to Store Leftover Meat Pie
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Don’t leave them sitting out at room temperature for too long.
Seal leftovers well and place them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stovetop or in the oven.
Favorite Savory Pie Recipes
Popular Ground Beef Recipes
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- American Chop Suey with Rice
- Cracker Barrel Meatloaf Recipe
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Ground Beef Steak
- Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
- Hamburger Helper Stroganoff
- Hamburger Quesadilla
- Porcupine Meatballs
- Smoked Meatloaf
Country Beef Pie
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can mushrooms
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 3/4 cup minute rice
- 12 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine all crust ingredients and mix well.
- Pat meat mixture into pie pan and set aside.
- Combine filling ingredients and 1 cup of cheese.
- Pour the rice mixture into the meat shell.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Return uncovered to the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.