This came from a favorite cookbook of mine. The Perfect Recipe. We have used this book many times in adapting recipes for CopyKat Recipes.
Nothing beats a quick and easy bowl of clam chowder. Unlike some soups, a delicious bowl of clam chowder can be put together in no time at all.
Love Clam Chowder? You may want to try these clam chowder recipes.
Quick Clam Chowder
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 cans (6 1/2 oz) minced clams preferably Doxsee (No MSG) Minced Clams; clams and juice separated 2 (8 oz.) bottles clam juice, preferably Doxsee brand
- 3 medium waxy red boiling potatoes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Fry minced bacon over medium heat in a large soup kettle until fat renders and bacon crisps, about five minutes. Add onion to bacon and drippings, and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour; stir until lightly colored, about one minute. Gradually whisk in canned and bottle clam juices and 3 cups of water. Add potatoes, bay leaf, and thyme, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add clams, cream, and parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and serve.