Bubba Gump Shrimp may have been famous on the silver screen. Now you can enjoy Forest Gump shrimp at home. You are going to love this copycat recipe from the Bubba Gump Shrimp company.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spicy Cajun Barbecue Shrimp
Here is a recipe that was inspired by the Forrest Gump movie. If you live in the South of the United States you know what barbecue shrimp is and how wonderful it tastes. Barbecue shrimp isn’t shrimp that was placed on a barbeque grill, but it is shrimp cooked in a wonderful buttery garlic sauce.
I believe if you have been to New Orleans, Pascale Manales is the restaurant that may have started this way of cooking shrimp. Cajun cuisine has a lot of spicy food and this shrimp certainly is one of them.
Here is a great recipe to try if you want some of that famous sauce. My tip to you, serve it with some French bread or some buttered rice. You won’t want to miss a drop of this sauce.
Forest Gump Shrimp Ingredients
Here’s what you need:
- Cayenne pepper
- Large shrimp
Ingredient Substitutions and Variations for Shrimp Cajun Style
- Substitute cayenne pepper with pre-made Cajun seasoning.
- Add parsley and thyme for more herbal flavors.
- Add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce for additional depth of flavor.
- I have to mention my favorite shrimp seasoning, my favorite is Paul Prudhommes Shrimp Magic
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice for extra lemony flavor.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Add a tablespoon of chopped white onions to the sauce for extra flavor, not part of their recipe, but it’s quite tasty
How to Make Bubba Gump Cajun Shrimp
There isn’t much preparation time involved. The most time-consuming task would be peeling and deveining shrimp but you can eliminate that by buying shrimp already peeled and deveined.
Here are the simple recipe steps for this shrimp preparation:
- Peel and devein the shrimp if needed. Rinse and drain on paper towels.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Add all spice ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook until hot but not smoking.
- Add shrimp to the pan and stir occasionally.
- Simmer until shrimp turn pink and are just done about 5 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper if desired.
- Transfer the shrimp and sauce to a large bowl and serve with lemon wedges.
What to Serve with Cajun Shrimp
A fresh baguette, toasted bread, especially sourdough, is great for sopping up all the buttery sauce. It’s a little bit of heaven!
How to store leftover Cajun style shrimp
You should store any leftover Cajun style shrimp in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to three days.
How to reheat Bubba Gump Shrimp
I like to reheat this by placing the leftover shrimp and sauce into a saucepan and heating it on low heat until warmed through. I find when I reheat this in the microwave the butter spatters and it the shrimp can overcook.
Love Cajun and Creole food? Check out these favorites
- Cajun Shrimp with Grits
- Cajun Shrimp
- Shrimp Gumbo
- Shrimp Remoulade
- Spicy Jambalaya
- How to Make Cajun Rice
- Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Delicious Shrimp Recipes
- Air Fried Shrimp Tempura
- Coconut Shrimp Sauce
- DIY Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Olive Garden Shrimp Scampi Fritta
- Shrimp Alexander
- Shrimp Cocktail Sauce
Thanks to Kachurr50 for sharing this shrimp recipe.
Bubba Gump Shrimp
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 24 pieces large shrimp
- Place all ingredients except the shrimp into a large skillet.
- Cook on medium heat until the butter is melted and hot.
- Add shrimp and stir occasionally. Cook until the shrimp are pink and just done, about 5 minutes.