Popeyes Red Beans and Rice came in direct response to many people’s requests. You can enjoy Cajun food when you are not in New Orleans.
Please use good-quality rice with this. We did not like the results with Minute Rice, but Success Rice boil-in-the-bag did come out well. You will be able to make Popeye’s Red Beans and Rice at home with this recipe.
Popeyes Red Beans and Rice
Whether you call these beans and rice, or rice and beans, this dish is a staple in the South. My family moved to Texas when I was in high school and we enjoyed red beans and rice many times when growing up.
This is an easy recipe to make, and it is very filling. Popeyes is known for their red beans and rice, here is my personal Popeyes copycat version of this classic Southern dish.
The actual red beans and rice served at Popeyes does not contain any meat. If you are vegetarian you can prepare these beans with about 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke.
I prefer making these with smoked ham hocks. I think smoked ham hocks give a full rich flavor that you will enjoy. If you do not wish to use them, please omit and use the liquid smoke for your recipe.
Please note this recipe does feature the use of ham hocks for the smoke flavoring. I feel this is superior to liquid smoke that you find in grocery stores. The recipe from Popeyes is meat-free. Popeyes Red Beans and Rice is my copycat version of this recipe, and I think the best home cook results are made with the ham hocks.
This recipe does vary from the restaurant preparation. These beans will make an excellent side dish, or even a main dish. You will love to recreate this New Orleans favorite fast food restaurant recipe at home.
Popular Fast-Food Copycat Recipes
- Parmesan Garlic Chicken Wings
- Chicken Salad Chick Chicken Salad
- Orange Julius Recipe
- Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Recipe
- Krispie Kreme Donut Recipe
- Chick Fil A Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Whataburger Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich
- Sonic Limeade Recipe
- Arbys Turnover
Enjoy rice? Check out my favorite rice recipes
Did you enjoy this copycat recipe? Sign up to receive more copycat recipes.
Subscribe to CopyKat.comLove CopyKat Recipes? Be notified when new recipes are released.
Popeyes Red Beans and Rice
- 3 cans red beans
- 1 smoked ham hock (1/2 to 3/4 pound) (you can omit, use 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups long grain rice, cooked for serving
- Pour 2 of the cans of beans into a 2-quart saucepan and add the ham hock and water. Simmer on medium heat for an hour, until the meat starts to loosen from the bone.
- Remove from the heat and cool until the hock is cool enough so you can remove the meat from the bone.
- Place the meat, beans, and liquid from the pot in a food processor. Add the onion powder, garlic salt, red pepper, salt, and lard. Process for only 4 seconds. The beans should be chopped and the liquid thick.
- Drain the remaining can of beans and add to the processor. Process for just a second or two; you want these beans to remain almost whole.
- Pour everything back into the pan and cook slowly on low heat, stirring often, until you’re ready to serve. Serve over a premium long-grain rice.