Quick and easy broccoli cheese rice casserole is a side dish you can put together in no time. I am using fresh broccoli in this recipe because I think it tastes better than frozen broccoli.
To use fresh broccoli, you can simply steam it in a steamer for a couple of minutes before using it. You could also use frozen broccoli, it works just fine.
Quick and Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a dish that is perfect for the holidays, or perhaps even a potluck dinner. Making this casserole is one of the best ways that you can get even finicky eaters to take in some broccoli.
I have to tell you a little story about this Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe. This is a variation on the recipe that my Grandmother used to make.
She used instant rice in her dish, but my preference is for regular long-grain rice. I think it has a better texture and it reheats better than instant rice.
I made this dish for a potluck when I had very little in the house, and it was a big hit. I know it isn’t the most sophisticated dish, but for me, I know a dish is a winner when the dish comes back empty.
Year after year this dish shows up as one of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes.
Ingredients for Broccoli Rice Casserole
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Velveeta cheese
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cooked white rice
CopyKat Ingredient Tips
- You can use either fresh or frozen broccoli, your choice. I love to pick up fresh broccoli and make it for dinner, and if there is some leftover, I will use it for this dish.
- For this recipe, I like to use the store brand of American cheese. While I do like Velveeta brand cheese, I often think that store brands will work well. Store brands like Aldi’s Clancey, or HEB brand are wonderful.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
- If you are using fresh broccoli, steam until just done.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onion in the butter until transparent.
- Add the cheese, soup, broccoli, and rice to the onions and stir through to melt the cheese and heat it all.
- You can serve this dish now or you can put it in a baking dish, cover, and refrigerate.
- When you are ready to serve, uncover it, and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
This dish reheats well, for me that is important. As I do a lot of cooking on the weekends and reheat dishes throughout the week when I have dinner.
Variations on Broccoli Rice Casserole
There are many different ways to switch up this recipe. Turn this into a main dish by adding some left over cooked chicken. You can also add even more vegetables, or switching them completely, you can also swap out the cheese.
Here are 5 ways you can modify this classic rice casserole
- Add cooked chicken – mix in in 1 to 2 cups of cooked chicken
- Add leftover ham – mix in 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cooked ham pieces
- Add a tablespoon of pimiento – this will add a nice savory note to this recipe
- Add cauliflower – swap half of the broccoli with cooked cauliflower
- Switch the cheese to Meximelt cheese – make your broccoli rice casserole with a bit of spice
How to Store Rice and Broccoli Casserole
It’s hard to imagine you will have any left of this casserole but in case you do, let’s cover how you can store this recipe.
- In the refrigerator – this will store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- In the freezer – store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions about Broccoli Rice Cheese Casserole Recipe
Yes, in this recipe the rice must be fully cooked before adding to the recipe.
The best way to reheat this recipe is to reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees. If you have 4 or more portions heat for about 20 minutes, if you have 2 portions 10 to 15 minutes is all that is needed.
You can reheat this in the microwave. This is best for reheating 2 portions, larger portions are best reheated in the oven.
Yes, you can. Simply mix all of the ingredients together. Place into your baking dish, and cover with foil. Cook in a 350 degree oven the day you wish you to serve. You will need to add 5 to 7 minutes of cooking time.
Favorite Casserole Recipes
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Instant Potato Casserole
- Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole
- Hamburger Green Bean Casserole
- Hash Brown Casserole Cracker Barrel
- Scallop Casserole
- Leftover Chicken Casserole Recipes
More Rice Side Dishes
- Cajun Rice
- French Onion Rice
- Spanish Rice Casserole
- Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
- Easy Rice Pilaf Recipe
- Thai Fried Rice Recipe
Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
- 16 ounces chopped broccoli fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese diced
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 2 cups cooked white rice
How to steam fresh brocoli
- Trim fresh broccoli, and cut into small 1 inch pieces. Place in a steamer and steam for 5 to 7 minutes, or until broccoli is bright green.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onion in the butter until transparent. Add the cheese, soup, broccoli, and rice to the onions and stir through to melt the cheese and heat it all.
- You can serve this dish now, or you can put it in an 8-inch square baking pan, cover, and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve, uncover, and reheat it in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.