Rice-A-Roni may be the San Francisco treat, but you can make delicious rice pilaf without a box. Rice pilaf is easy, tasty, and inexpensive. This may be a healthier alternative if you are trying to watch your salt intake.
Are you looking for new rice recipes? Have you ever tried making rice pilaf? Rice pilaf is easy to make and can be prepared in the oven. I love this dish, it is almost effortless. This dish is prepared in the oven. So once this dish is placed into the oven you can pretty much leave it alone until it is time to take it out.
What I love about this side dish is that it has no preservatives in it. If you are concerned about salt you can prepare this with a low-sodium broth so you can eliminate the excess salt. I love making rice pilaf. Rice pilaf is very adaptable, once you get the technique down you can swap out the flavors as you see fit. I recently found rice that was smoked. Smoked rice gave a very unique flavor, but you don’t need to use smoked rice.
How to Make Rice Pilaf
The basic technique for rice pilaf is very simple. You first saute aromatic vegetables in a little butter. Then you saute the rice with the vegetables. The next thing you will do is you will add stock or broth to the rice. You can make a paper tent over the rice and then you put a lid onto the pot and place the pot into a hot oven. A paper tent is optional, but it does help steam the rice a bit more, as the paper tent traps the heat and steam towards the rice when it cooks. I find that using a paper tent helps the rice cook better.
More great rice recipes
Make easy rice pilaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped leeks you can use onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrots
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken stock vegetable stock is ok.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat butter in an ovenproof pot, when the butter has melted add chopped leeks and carrots. Saute over medium heat or until the leeks have become tender.
- Add rice, and cook rice until it becomes shiny. Add broth to the rice. Place a paper tent over the rice. Place the pot lid on the pot.
- Place in the oven. Bake for about 12 minutes. Remove rice from oven, and then all it to rest for 12 minutes. Remove lid and serve.