Panera Tomato Soup is so easy to make from scratch. You are going to love this vegetarian Creamy Tomato Soup that tastes just like it does from Panera.
It is hard to beat a bowl of warm soup. Panera’s Creamy Tomato Soup is one that is perfect for a meal that will warm you up. Panera is known for their soups, and this one is another one of their classic recipes.
It’s really easy to make flavorful tomato soup from scratch. This recipe uses canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes have the advantage of always being in season. By using canned tomatoes to make soup you get a way to make consistent soup every single time.
My copycat for Panera Creamy Tomato Soup can be put together in no time at all, and you can soon be enjoying your soup with some grilled cheese sandwiches or some nice crusty bread.
What’s in Panera’s Creamy Tomato Soup
Panera Creamy Tomato Soup is a vegetarian soup, so I am using vegetable stock for this recipe, if you prefer, you could use chicken stock.
This tomato soup recipe is made creamy by the addition of heavy cream. I like to use heavy cream in soups that are going to be reheated. Heavy cream can be reheated without the milk curdling.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s what you need to make Panera creamy tomato soup:
- Olive oil
- White onions
- Tomato puree
- Dried basil
- Vegetable stock
- Heavy cream
How to Make Panera Tomato Soup
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, chopped white onion, and salt.
- Sauté until onions are transparent.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add tomato puree, basil, oregano, vegetable stock, and heavy cream.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Taste and if the soup is too acidic add sugar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Puree soup with either an immersion blender or in a blender.
Perfect Toppings for Creamy Tomato Soup
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Croutons
- Buttery Croutons
- Fresh Basil shavings
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- A dollop of sour cream
Love Panera Bread? Be sure to try these copycat recipes
Popular Soup Recipes
- Senate Bean Soup
- Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- Creamy Onion Soup
- Cowboy Soup
- Ultimate Potato Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Chili Verde
Panera Creamy Tomato Soup (Vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 58 ounces tomato puree 4 – 14.5 ounce cans
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 14.5 ounces vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat add olive oil and add chopped white onion. Sprinkle 1/2 salt teaspoon on top. Saute until onions are transparent.
- Add chopped garlic and saute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add tomato puree, basil, oregano, vegetable stock, and heavy cream. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Taste, and if the soup is too acidic add sugar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Puree soup with either an immersion blender or by carefully pureeing soup in a blender.