Panera Tomato Soup is so easy to make from scratch. You are going to love this vegetarian Creamy Tomato Soup that tastes just like it does from Panera.
It is hard to beat a bowl of warm soup. Panera’s Creamy Tomato Soup is one that is perfect for a meal that will warm you up. Panera is known for their soups, and this one is another one of their classic recipes.
It’s really easy to make flavorful tomato soup from scratch. This recipe uses canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes have the advantage of always being in season. By using canned tomatoes to make soup you get a way to make consistent soup every single time.
My copycat for Panera Creamy Tomato Soup can be put together in no time at all, and you can soon be enjoying your soup with some grilled cheese sandwiches or some nice crusty bread.
What’s in Panera’s Creamy Tomato Soup
Panera Creamy Tomato Soup is a vegetarian soup, so I am using vegetable stock for this recipe, if you prefer, you could use chicken stock.
This tomato soup recipe is made creamy by the addition of heavy cream. I like to use heavy cream in soups that are going to be reheated. Heavy cream can be reheated without the milk curdling.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s what you need to make Panera creamy tomato soup:
- Olive oil
- White onions
- Tomato puree
- Dried basil
- Vegetable stock
- Heavy cream
How to Make Panera Tomato Soup
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, chopped white onion, and salt.
- Sauté until onions are transparent.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add tomato puree, basil, oregano, vegetable stock, and heavy cream.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Taste and if the soup is too acidic add sugar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Puree soup with either an immersion blender or in a blender.
Perfect Toppings for Creamy Tomato Soup
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Croutons
- Buttery Croutons
- Fresh Basil shavings
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- A dollop of sour cream
Love Panera Bread? Be sure to try these copycat recipes
Popular Soup Recipes
- Senate Bean Soup
- Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- Creamy Onion Soup
- Cowboy Soup
- Ultimate Potato Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Chili Verde
Be sure to check out more of my easy soup recipes and the best Panera copycat recipes.
Panera Creamy Tomato Soup (Vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 58 ounces tomato puree 4 – 14.5 ounce cans
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 14.5 ounces vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat add olive oil and add chopped white onion. Sprinkle 1/2 salt teaspoon on top. Saute until onions are transparent.
- Add chopped garlic and saute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add tomato puree, basil, oregano, vegetable stock, and heavy cream. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Taste, and if the soup is too acidic add sugar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Puree soup with either an immersion blender or by carefully pureeing soup in a blender.
The list of ingredients is available on Panera’s web site, so why would anyone publish a copycat recipe with different ingredients? The reason I like Panera’s tomato soup, and don’t like La Madeline’s, is because Panera does not use basil. There is no vegetable broth in the Panera list of ingredients. There is celery seed and red pepper. Every supposed copycat recipe I’ve found on the internet uses basil. I guess I’ll just have to find a store that sells this soup
I believe this happened because Panera reformated their soups a few years back, my recipe was developed from the original one that they served.
Delicious as is, followed the recipe exactly. I left it chunky and it was awesome! Will definitely make again. Do you think this would freeze okay?
I think the cream part of the soup could break down a little.
This is amazing! I just made this tonight for the first time and was blown away at how great this is. It’s so fresh and tastes so similar (probably even better) than panera!! Thank you for a great recipe. I’m definitely saving this to make again 🙂
How is this soup reheating the next day
I think this works ok if you heat it on the stove on low. I would not reheat this in the microwave.
Love the tomato soup. Have made it 3 times since the first of February
and am making again today. It is not a heavy soup, has just the right amount of cream.
YOU NAILED IT.
Have made this soup 3 times since the first of February.
I do not mean to sound ignorant but how is this vegetarian if it has cream? And how many servings does this make?
I thought soups were vegetarian if they contained no meat but dairy was ok. My understanding is vegan means no meat, no dairy, and perhaps no honey.
You’re correct. This is completely vegetarian. There are different layers of being vegetarian but the normally idea of it is just no meat but dairy is perfectly fine!
What are grilled cheese croutons tho??
You can make a grilled cheese sandwich, and cut it into bited-sized pieces and those become grilled cheese croutons.
this and a grilled cheese is the bomb.
Karen M Bryant
Yea it is the bomb. i will have to buy a immersion blender though I am on Atkins and I can have this.
If you wanted to leave the onion bits whole you could do that. I can work past this, maybe you can too 😉 Or if you have a blender you could use that.