Panera Bread Black Bean Soup is a vegetarian soup that is made full of wholesome ingredients that you are going to love.
I love Panera Bread, this restaurant and bakery has been reworking their menu to include recipes without a lot of preservatives. So their food is made with wholesome ingredients that you and I can find anywhere. Who doesn’t love that? This Black Bean Soup is a seasonal menu item at Panera Bread. So it isn’t always available, now with this copycat recipe, you will be able to recreate this soup anytime.
I noticed a lot of recipes online include chicken broth; this soup is not made with chicken broth, it is vegetarian. You should use vegetable broth to prepare this soup. For this recipe, you can use canned black beans if you like, but you can also make your black beans from dry beans. I like to cook my black beans in my Instant Pot. With using my Instant Pot, I can cook my beans in about an hour.
You might wonder what else is in this soup; this soup is made with carrots, celery, onions, black beans, and the perfect touch of spices. You can find all of the ingredients you need for this recipe in your everyday grocery store. I know if you like this copycat recipe from Panera Bread you might like to check out my copycat recipes for Panera Bread Baked Potato Soup or their Panera Bread Bistro French Onion Soup.
Love Panera Bread? Check out these Panera Bread Copycat Recipes
Panera Bread Black Bean Soup
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 30 ounces black beans or 3 to 4 cups of cooked black beans
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- In a large pot add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Saute onions, celery, and carrots. Sprinkle the vegetables with a pinch of salt to help them release the water in the vegetables. When the onions begin to become translucent add bell pepper and garlic. Continue to saute vegetables until the garlic becomes fragrant. If using canned black beans rinse to remove excess starch. Add beans and vegetable stock to pot. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the cumin to the soup. Allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes to heat through. Taste soup, and adjust salt if needed. Add cornstarch and water mixture to the soup. It will help thicken the soup. Just before serving, add the lemon juice.