Cream of Mushroom Soup doesn’t need to come out of a can, you can make it from scratch. I will say that cans of soup have their place. I use them in a few recipes. Homemade soup is always best.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my favorite soups is mushroom soup. Cream of mushroom soup doesn’t need to come out of a can. You can make this creamy gluten-free mushroom soup from scratch. This homemade mushroom soup has a depth of flavor so different from canned soups. I will say that canned soup has its place, and I use it in a few recipes. However, homemade soup is always the best.
During the winter, soup will warm you up, and when you are ill, nothing helps you feel better than a bowl of soup.
This homemade cream of mushroom soup is thickened by potato and heavy cream. I created it after putting some of my favorite cream of mushroom soup recipes together. From Jaques Peppin came the potato, which helps give the soup some body and almost makes it a hearty soup. From many classic cream of soup recipes came the addition of cream at the end. You could use milk, but when I know I am going to reheat a dairy-based soup, I always use heavy cream simply because it reheats very well.
I use plain button mushrooms in this recipe. If you have them on hand, you can include a couple of dried mushrooms because they add a really nice layer of flavor. I soak the dried mushrooms in the cream until they become soft. This way, the cream picks up the extra flavor.
My recipe uses gluten-free chicken broth to make a one-hundred-percent gluten-free cream of mushroom soup.
This homemade cream of mushroom soup takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Sometimes I just want a bowl of soup that does not involve a day-long process. However, this soup tastes like it was cooked all day long! You can make this one for dinner and not spend all evening in the kitchen.
What Goes With Cream of Mushroom Soup?
You can eat a bowl of homemade mushroom soup all on its own, but it also goes well with lots of things if you’d like to round it out into a more hearty meal. Here are a few suggestions:
How to Make Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
You can give your family warm bowls of soup that are deliciously creamy with tender bites of mushroom pieces. Made with easy to find ingredients you may already have in your kitchen, you are minutes away from a satisfying soup full of creamy goodness. Don’t forget the piece of crusty bread to mop up all of that soup sitting at the bottom of your bowl!
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Fresh mushrooms
- Dried mushrooms (optional)
- Olive oil
- Gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth
- Heavy cream or milk
I use plain button mushrooms in this recipe.
If you have dried mushrooms on hand, you can them as well. Dried mushrooms add a really nice layer of flavor.
Soak dried mushrooms in cream until they become tender. This way the cream picks up the extra flavor and the mushroom softens with the cream instead of just water.
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
- If you are using dried mushrooms, soak them in heavy cream until they are tender.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, sauté mushrooms and onions in olive oil over medium heat until onions are transparent and the mushrooms have begun to release some of their water.
- Add chicken broth and potato.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 18 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Puree mixture with either an immersion or regular blender until soup is well blended and smooth.
- Return soup stock to the pot and add heavy cream.
- Cook until the soup is heated through.
You can garnish the soup with a small dollop of sour cream, chopped fresh chives, or fresh dill.
This soup takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Sometimes I just want a bowl of soup, not a day-long process.
This soup tastes like it cooked all day long. But I assure you, you can make this one for dinner and not spend all evening in the kitchen.
Love homemade soup? Try these recipes!
- Cheese Soup Recipe
- Cowboy Soup
- Cream of Celery Soup
- How to Make Taco Soup
- Navy Bean Soup
- Olive Garden Soups
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup
- Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- She Crab Soup
- Southwest Chicken Soup
Favorite Gluten-Free Recipes
Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms (any type – optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small potato peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth gluten-free
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- If you have dried mushrooms, soak them in heavy cream while you begin preparation on mushrooms. Ideally, they should soak until tender.
- Saute mushrooms and onions over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Saute until onions are transparent and the mushrooms have begun to release some of their water.
- Add chicken broth and potato. Cover and simmer for about 18 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Puree soup with a hand immersion or regular blender until soup is well blended and is fairly smooth.
- Return soup stock to the pot, add heavy cream, and cook until the soup is heated through.